Quad help needed

Gary Manuel

A number of member of Don Valley Model Flying Club have decided to try our hands at quad racing.

To keep things fair and fairly low cost, we have all decided to go for the same model (apart from one renegade) - The Eachine 250 Racer RIDICULOUSLY LOW PRICE at the moment.

I've got the first one to arrive from China (not mine but I'm setting it up for someone else).

It is fitted with a Custom made F3 Flight Controller and has been flashed with the latest version of BetaFlight firmware.

All appears well from within Betaflight Configurator, including the actual motor operation, which spin up according to the manual motor test sliders (in the configurator). To my logic, that suggests that all the ESC and motor hardware is fine.

In addition to the 4 main controls, one switch is set up as ARM, DISARM and BUZZER (buzzer not fitted yet, but might be later on). Another switch is set up as ACRO (default setting), HORIZON and ANGLE mode. All appear to be working and do exactly what I would expect within configurator.

The trouble begins shortly after the quad is armed from the transmitter switch. Initially the quad sits there all quiet as you would expect, but then:

If you either:
Move the throttle up and back down
or
move one of the other sticks
or
pick the quad up and move it in any direction

Some of the motors spin up at slow speed and don't stop. They spin as if trying to self level the quad, even in acro mode. If the quad is picked up and moved about, the props vary is speed but never actually stop when the quad is grounded. Turning the arm switch off and back on again results in the props stopping but start again after any of the actions as above.

When it's doing this in acro mode and the mode switch is turned to HORIZON or ANGLE, the props spin more fiercely - even with no throttle applied.

The problem I have is that I have never flown a quad before and do not know how they are supposed to behave. A quadie at our club says it doesn't look right.

So my question is - Is this how it's supposed to behave and if not, any idea where I should be looking to fix it?

Advert

No experience of this quad nor the FC as I'm Pixhawk/Arducopter-based but I'd be looking at synchronising the 4 ESCs to teach the throttle settings. That should get them all starting/stopping together. Then check whether you can set the Spin When Armed parameter to Off in the GUI?

That'll be a start. Does it have a Stability mode, ie when you stop the inputs it should stay where it is placed (not completely without GPS, of course)? If so, that's the place to start - get used to it in it's most benign mode before you move on to Acro etc.

Pete