Fisher Redshift R60

gangster

Who remembers these? I remember drooling over them back in the day but they were not cheap and you had to wait while they were hand built. 40 years on I have acquired one whether to use it or not is the question The question hangs on the exhaust I don't want to spend a fortune on a pipe or silencer only to find it unsuitable or too noisy. The motor seems to be an early model side exhaust. So the question is how to identify whether its silencer or pipe version and had anyone any thoughts on a suitable exhaust of either type

Advert

I bought a BCM strap-on silencer for my SuperTigre .45 when I managed to damage the original in a "heavy" landing!

**LINK**

(Scroll down to bottom of page)

They do two sizes, one for 40/50 size motors and another for 60-90 size. Very easy to fit, and pretty quiet too.

As an aside, I always use 5min epoxy as a gasket. Never had a leak or silencer come loose since I started doing that some years ago!

--

Pete

Peter

Get in touch with Ashley Hoyland on the GBR/CAA Forum. He was pat of the original Redshift team and has a wealth of knowledge on these engines.

You can also measure the exhaust timing - that will give a good indication of its suitability for a pipe.

Martyn

Yes thanks guys. Yes more research is required There is quite a bit of info on the web which I need to study closely especially with a view to measuring the timing. I do have a home made strap on silencer bit it looks low on volume and no baffles so not sure. The BCM silencers look good but a bit expensive if not suitable

My marine version is still in its box in the shed. I ran it in a Racing Models Hornet hull and a Jim Fagin Lion . I used a Prestwich Models stainless pipe water cooled. It won more races than i can remember now and was faultless ! I used to race 1 hour races with a 4 pint tank and it never faltered ever !!! Superb !!! Ah!!! Nostalgia !! Colin

Gangster: If you send Just Engines the measurements of the exhaust port (they show what's required on their website), they'll tell you if it will fit. I would be very surprised if one or the other would not fit.

Is it a Schnuerle ported engine or a cross-flow? A cross-flow will have a deflector on the crown of the piston (Schnuerles are flat), easily observable through the exhaust port. If its a cross-flow, the 40/50 size BCM should be quite adequate. A Schuerle ported 45 is pretty much the exact equivalent of a cross-flow 60.

--

Pete

Hi Dennis

I am now able to reply to your post. (See earlier forum message) .

If you take another photograph of your Fisher Redshift looking straight into the exhaust and post it here I will be able to give you all the information you need.

Although I have used exhaust straps to fit silencers, they should be tightened just enough to hold the silencer in place, if the strap is tightened too tight it will distort the cylinder and lasting damage will occur.

The serial number of your engine would be of interest to me.

Kind Regards.

Ashley