362 Delta plan missing formers

Trevor Crook

I briefly mentioned this on another thread, but no-one responded. I'm fairly keen to build the 362 delta from the May issue, but the free plan doesn't show the shape of formers F1 and F2, port and starboard halves. With a conventional design, it would be simple to derive the shapes, but these are a bit more complex. Any chance of an addendum being published?

Advert

Hi Shaun here author of the 362 article. I've just reviewed the mag and it's correct the formers have been missed off the plan.I will call Dave Ashby and sort it out. Glad to see you are wanting to build it, you won't be disappointed as it's a great sport model.Just in case you haven't noticed there is also some detail for it on the Chica plan.I'm looking forward to the photos.I've got some interesting stuff planned for the future.

Edited By 2.4g Shaun on 17/04/2017 01:59:26

John, you go to your inbox at the top of the screen, then compose a new message. Probably not worth troubling David with another message as it looks like it's in hand.

Shaun, thanks for the response. I must admit it took me a while to find the centre rib on the other sheet! I am interested in the 362 as I built one when the original article was written by Peter. Alas, as an inexperienced teenager I wrote it off on its first flight. It was rather nose heavy so I had to feed in a lot of up trim. Hence, when I tried an inverted pass, there wasn't enough down elevator to maintain height. I then panicked and tried to half loop out, and the ground got in the way! A month or two later, in his S&L column, Peter mentioned that the CG shown on the plan is the most forward recommended position. This is unusual, and I had played safe and balanced mine ahead of the plan position, hence my issue. It may be worth passing on this info for potential builders.

I'm thinking that a 500W 4s setup should give much better performance than the Veco .19 in my original!

Hi Trevor,

Your motor set up should be OK as it's a slippery beast. but as I love speed I used 650 W ... I revisited the 362 after seeing that i-Gull sold a rib set and used them so I can see how R1 could be a little illusive on the plan.

Over the years I've found that a slightly rearward C of G on a delta is definitely preferable than a forward one.

Post you pics  of your new one when it's done..  great pic of the original. I've looked but can't find mine

Shaun

Edited By 2.4g Shaun on 17/04/2017 10:24:37

Posted by Trevor Crook on 17/04/2017 07:25:54:

......It was rather nose heavy so I had to feed in a lot of up trim. Hence, when I tried an inverted pass, there wasn't enough down elevator to maintain height. I then panicked and tried to half loop out, and the ground got in the way! A month or two later, in his S&L column, Peter mentioned that the CG shown on the plan is the most forward recommended position. This is unusual, and I had played safe and balanced mine ahead of the plan position, hence my issue. It may be worth passing on this info for potential builders.

When I first got mine and fitted the 46 the closest I could get to the suggested C of G was about 1 1/4" ahead. It flew ok with a bit of up trim but didn't like to flair on landing so it was best to come in hot. I didn't try any inverted passes with it in that state! It took about 4oz of lead wedged right back against the rear web to get the balance somewhere near right, using mini servos in it turned out to be a bit of a waste of timefrown.

You may need to be patient, Shaun - I'm a slow builder and haven't got the wood yet! I'll certainly make the battery compartment big enough to allow plenty of fore-aft movement.

Never been tempted by a syrup, Percy, I've adapted to the streamlined appearance. Need a hat for sunny flying sessions though.

Here's the download section:-

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article/rcme-extra/2993/

Here's the direct link:-

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/documents/362Delta-Reprint-Formers.pdf

Cheers,

Shaun

Ooops you bet me too it Gonzo wink

Edited By 2.4g Shaun on 20/04/2017 12:51:52

• 3 months later...