FrSky, DJT/X8R Binding problem

iawnski

hi all have a little prob with my taranis -plus.just bought a x8r eu for telemetry but cnt get it to bind ,I'm using a DJT telemetry module in the back and my old rx are VFR8nall work ok on this ,on the taranis inside moduleI can get D8 D16 LR12 but I have never used these always used the external DJT ,any help here be great

Pretty sure it won't bind with the EU receiver in D16 mode, and there's no new firmware available.

As I said above its far simpler to update the Taranis firmware to the EU version, and use the internal module. Then any new receivers bought will bind without having to do anything more.

Indeed, but my reply was about D series modules in general. Sorry if that was confusing.

I was under the impression that the RF stages were the same in these two modules, with an extra IC in the Futaba version to cope with the different logic state and voltage on the PPM pin. Could be wrong though!

Andy Meade, are you using a jumper on the X8R channel pins when you bind them to the DJT/DFT module? If so that works because a jumper on ch 7 and 8 pins binds the rx in D8 mode. I'm with Andrew otherwise, I didn't think the D series modules put out D16 mode encoded signals.

I'd definitely install the EU-LBT firmware and use the internal XJT module for use with X series receivers.

The D series modules transmit in either a one way (none telemetry) mode called V8, or a Two way (telemetry) mode called D8.

X series receivers are compatible with D8 but you don't get all the bells and whistles such as 16 S.Bus channels and model match etc.
If I remember correctly a jumper is needed on some pins to bind an X receiver in D8 mode?

(At least with D8, there are no EU/LBT/FCC complications).

X series receivers can be bound to D series transmitters by jumping a couple of pins during the bind process. I believe this is legal, as the ERP of the downlink from the receiver plus the low media utilisation of the telemetry downlink brings the system under the ETSI medial utilisation requirements, but I stand to be corrected!

However, to get the full X series telemetry on the Taranis requires the receiver to be bound in D16 mode, rather than the D8 mode used by D series transmitters.

This also means that both the transmitter and receiver must be using the same firmware standard - be it EU or Rest Of The World.

Whilst there is a module that does D16, you will only get the full features by using the internal module on the Taranis - unless you also bolt on one of FrSky's dahsboards, at which point the whole thing starts to become a bit unwieldy. It is also rather pointless given that the internal module does all that is required.

Hope this helps!

--

Pete

very interesting stuff here ,so I have decided to go with andy48 ,module v8 mode for my v rx, and update the internal module,,,so now who can do this for me as I haven't a clue how to do it if anyone knows let me no please .thank you all for the help

iawnski, do we know the OpenTx software version on your Taranis?

To check if you have the facility, hold the rudder and aileron trims inward while you switch on, is one of the options you see called - "Write firmware" ?

If that is there then to update your internal requires just a few steps.

1) Download the appropriate firmware from the FrSky website. We can help you with which one.
2) Unzip that file so that you have the unzipped version on your PC.
3) Copy the unzipped file to the folder "firmwares" on your Taranis SD card.
4) Run the "Write firmware" - choosing the appropriate options.

It is all in Andy48's handbook. As he's said, it's in Reference Section 4, How to.

• 3 weeks later...