img_1368.jpgimg_1371.jpgimg_1377.jpgimg_1378.jpgi'm going to Shawbury today and thought it would be good to have something to accompany my little Caudron. I knocked this up from scratch in just a few hours yesterday. Somewhat crude, all Depron, 3mm Aero quality and 6mm grey. Wing leading edge and spar 3mm hard balsa. Parkzone P51 geared motor, AR6410 Spektrum rx, 1s 160mah Lipo. Crude, wings are definitely "aero-elastic", but it weighs 42gms only with battery, 31"span, 115 sq.ins. area, wing loading 2ozs./sq.ft. Should be good for a laugh. If it works I'll tidy it up.img_1380.jpg

img_1394.jpgimg_1401.jpg

It flies a treat!

After a hairy first flight while I sorted out the trims and elevator throw, it settled down and flew beautifully. As you'd expect with such a low wing loading it can fly very slowly and as the afternoon went on, I progressively got the hang of it. Towards the end, there were a lot of planes in the air simultaneously and it was getting hairy. I had an air to air with an Albatros DV that brought us both down, fortunately undamaged. Must be the first time that a Wellesley ever shot an Albatros down, WW2 meeting WW1!

Danny Fenton was there and here he img_1408.jpgis with John Minchin, who does a lot of organising to make indoor flying at Shawbury possible. Danny kindly took for me more pictures using my IPhone, here you can see the Wellesley in its element. Great fun, over now until September.

• 6 months later...

Hi Tony. You need to be careful with this. Mine is a very light Depron indoor flyer and it needed to be at 20% of mean chord. I have also enlarged the tailplane slightly. Bear in mind that with the very short moment arm the c of g is probably safer a bit forward. Also thinking that the original prototype of the full sized plane was destroyed when it got into a flat spin while Jeffrey Quill was flying it. He couldn’t get it out and had to bail out. Therefore personally I wouldn’t go further back than 25% of mean, not root, chord. Only my opinion of course.