HobbyKing MX2 955mm

Nigel R

Is anyone else flying this model?

I quite like it. Floats along very nicely, lands at a crawl, and will do any low energy 3d moves. I can't get it to spin or tumble though, just not heavy enough.

The main gotcha seems to be the U/C, its woefully inadequate, has anyone else beefed it up and if so what did you do?

• 2 years later...

I've had one of these for a while (almost 150 flights). Great winter hack and flies really well, although I'm not into 3D so fly it really as a sport model. My only issue with it is the short flight durations I'm getting with it. Of course duration is really all about amps draw v battery capacity.

I'm using 2217 a 1100Kv 200W motor with 3S 1300 or 1500 mAh battery, 30A Plush ESC and (up to now) a Master Airscrew 8050 prop (although recommended prop is 10x4.7 or 11.4.7 Slow-fly).

On the 8050 prop it flies well as a sport model but I've recently gone to a 9060 Master Airscrew prop to give it a bit more grunt. However with the 0850 prop the flight duration is barely 4 minutes and the 9060 it's giving only 3 minutes 20 secs average with only 14% capacity left on landing using the 1500mAh pack. It is hard to see how the larger recommended SF props would make the duration any better, and I've assumed they're intended for slow 3D manoeuvres. The 9060 setup pulls 22.5A at full chat. Fitting a larger battery is a no-go without major surgery and the risk of weakening the ply sub-frame.

I'd be grateful to hear how any others are finding the performance/duration and the set-ups they are using.

My now rather battered airframe is fitted with:

3536 1000kv

10x3.7 slow fly prop

3S 1000mAh

30A ESC

this shows around 220W fresh and 180W empty.

I get 4:30 minutes airtime now, on packs that have done ~100 cycles. That used to be 5 minutes with brand new packs. It has plenty of punch out from hover and most of any given flight is around third throttle (if that).

The airframe has a metric ton of drag and burning power won't move it very quickly. I find the glide slope (about 45 degrees) quite telling on that front.