Hello from Derek

Hello everyone,

I have just joined the forum. I have been model building and flying for many years.  (I am 72 years old) In the past, I built models mainly from plans and kits.  I have spent most of my life in the RAF so I have travelled around quite a bit and there have been periods when I could'nt do any modelling at all.

I am now living in a small one bedroomed flat so my modelling activily has now been limited to buying ARTF models.   I used to look down on them because I liked building more than flying.   However, I now think ARTF models have done a lot to get more people into our hobby.   Also the current crop of models are excellently produced.

I think I am an excellent builder haveing had a wealth of experience of all types of models but I don't consider myself an excellent flyer, just intermediate.   I am currently a member of the Blackmore Vale Model flying club in Dorset.

Well thats all for now, I don't want to bore you too much.

Advert

Welcome Derek. I am with you on the idea that ARTFs have really brought more people into the hobby, and most will build from a plan one day.

Like you I am an intermediate flier (barely), but I have no experience of building from plans.

Once again welcome, from a fellow serviceman (RAF)

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the welcome and the email.   I have been looking at your gallery.   It is quite impressive!

I also see that you live in Shropshire.   I was stationed at RAF Cosford for about 3 years and later as a  civilian instructor for 12 years.   Once again, thanks for the welcome.

Derek

Hi and welcome to the forum Derek

Please remember to fill in a little about yourself on the profile page - that way you will be sure to get more response to your questions! Don’t miss the several threads dedicated to Newbies such as yourself, in the beginners section, together with the few guidelines we have listed to help you with using the forum.

Perhaps this in particular may help

And this.

Once again, welcome on board and have fun! Timbo.

PS I know you are not a newbie as such..... but things do change rapidly in this hobby and you may find something of benefit in these sections

Hi Garry,

Thanks for the welcome.   Yes, I can remember the days before proportional radio when it was all single channel stuff.   Then in came reed sets.   I had a Remcon 12.  Control surfaces were either at neautral, fully operated or somewhere in between depending on how fast you could move the channel switches on or off!!

Derek

Hi Derek

My fondest memories were the rubber powered escapements which gave you elevator rudder and motor control if you could remember how many presses on the button was required. This was made more difficult with the model going away from you at a rate of knots and you were never sure if you had control or not , most times it was not

As they say in the tv program Bottom  "Happy Days"  no they were not!!

Garry