Adapting X9D to DSM2

TIM Shaw

Hi Guys

I bought my Taranis some time ago, I think one of the second batch T9 got in, with a view to replacing my ageing JR DSX9 and thinking I could simply remove the module from the DSX9 and stick in the Taranis slot, thinking the DSX9 would have the same removable modules my earlier JR TXs had, right from X347 up to PCM9X2.

But of course - it doesn't! DSX9 has a moulded in block instead..

I admit I lost some interest at that point, particularly as I also struggled to get my head round the programming, although I did manage to program a Solius and an Erwin eventually.

However, when I flew the Solius I found I hated the way the sticks felt, and lost interest again, so I continued to use my now very elderly DSX9.

Eventually of course, it let me down, I think due to a broken antenna wire, and it seems I can't source a replacement antenna for it, so I bought a Hitec Aurora 9X and have flown very happily with that for the last 6 months or so.

Then I saw the Hall effect M9 sticks were available for the Taranis so nipped over to T9 for a feel, and was very happy with what I found, so now my Taranis has these gimbals in and feels much nicer, so I am wanting to try again to use it instead of my now dead DSX9

So far as I can see, I have 2 options. Either buy an DSM2 module from Orange, or build my own.

I like to build models, but I really don't like to mess with the magic smoke - I've released way too much of it in the past, so the question I guess I am finally asking is - is that Orange module a sensible way forward to let me use the large number of Sectrum type RXs I have?

Thanks in anticipation

Advert

I can't help regarding the Orange module but if you want to replace the antenna on your DSX9 I think you will find the old Spektrum DX7 one will fit and is still available. Part No SPM6831. I've used them on my DSX12, it's an easy job, the instructions are here.

Thanks John - very helpful.Although those instructions don't reference the DSX9 they do refer to the 9303, which I think is the American reference.

No range problems using the Spectrum bit?

Leeds have them in stock at £20.......

Tim,

I too have a DSX-9 - still functioning well despite its age, as well as a Taranis (X9D) and an even older PCM-9. When I bought the DSX-9, I also bought a Spektrum module for the PCM-9 so I could use it as a backup. Recently, my son purloined the Spektrum module for his own Bind'N'Fly toys, and I have now bought an Orange module as a replacement.

The Orange has worked almost flawlessly so far! I say almost because it seems to have a slight compatibility issue with recent DSM-X systems. If you have a DSM-X Bind'N'Fly, and leave the Orange module in auto mode, everything works except the throttle function! It works fine with Orange receivers in DSM-X, but not Bind'N'Fly.

However, you can take it out of auto mode and force it into DSM-2, and then it works just as well as the Spektrum module did!

I got a replacement antenna for my DSX-9 from MacGregors a while back, when the original cracked quite badly. It was simple enough to replace, but just be careful with the little press stud connector - its very easy to damage the tiny centre pin!

Hope this helps!

--

Pete

Hi tim

Got the same age Taranis as you i believe and have fitted the new gimballs (hall effect form T9) and thay fell nice and a vast improvment over the originals a worthy upgrade.

also for DMS2 and DMX I got the orange module that plugs in the the back of the Taranis and that works without issue .

i would update the taranis to the latest open tx (2.1 I believe) + sound packand go from there. the new model wizard incorperated will get you going with the first few basic models. smiley

Maybe....

Not yet sold on FrSky yet, and I do like my Aurora, for which I have already bought 6 RXs, the set up suits my ageing brain. But I don't like selling stuff - what if it goes wrong, and some of the installations in my hotter gliders are pretty tight already - much easier to find a way of talking to them in my mind.

And for the record, I have 0, that is zero, zilch, nadder, BNF models - I fly to build, if I'm honest.

Although it is true I fly a lot better than I build if I am honest, and I don't regard myself as a great flier either.

And I don't really get telemetry. Yes, I love the idea that you can get a low RX battery warning, but the rest of the bleeps and warnings just annoy me tbh.

I guess I really am turning into an old git..........

The Hitec Auroa 9 is a good Tx and even that has telemetry capabilities and has enough mixers/functions for most, if you are happy with that stick with it as it is good and reliable. just bite the bullet and sell all DSM then there is no hassle thought and it's done with especially as you don't have any BNF models so even more reason not to do it...

be brave it's the twenty 1st century you know and they used to make future scfi films about itsurprise

All good advice here guys, but here's the thing.

I know full well that selling my DSM RXs will not be very cost effective v buying Hitecs or FrSkys to replace them.

Also, I always like to have a back up TX so if something goes wrong I can also fly something else.

And, as a good Yorkshireman, I hate to spend more than I have to, and even worse, to think I have bought something I ain't going to get my moneys worth from.

And, although it is indeed the 21st century, I kind of liked my JR gear...

Decisions, decisions.....

Ok GUys

Thanks for all the help so far. Gimbals are now in and seem to be working, which has indeed transformed the feel of the Tx

Almost ordered an Orange module too, but I see there are 2 listed on the HK site, one listed as JR/Turnigy compatible, the the other as "JR/Turnigy/Taranis compatible" Second one is slightly cheaper, so as a good Yorkshireman, would be my preference - any comments?

Next, I am having another go at getting my head round Companion and all the computer stuff I nearly fried my brain with before. I'm still running Companion 2.0. something, and an upgrade is available.

This upgrade is 2.2 - is this now stable, or do I need to find 2.19?

Or have I confused myself already....

Cheers

Tim

The only difference I can quickly spot in the specs is that the dearer one seems to have switchable power output levels. Not quite sure why you would want that.....

The cheaper one is quoted as 18dBm output, which when used with a standard 2dB gain antenna gives the required 100mW erp.

--

Pete