Which first kit?

Tony Kenny

"To be fair, the Gangster 63 Lite build would be a better grounding than the Acrowot, as the Gangster is all built up while the Acrowot kit uses foam wings."

On the other hand... Foam wing, quite easy to get right, a symmetrical tapered balsa build, less so.

Having said that I have no experience of the latest laser cut marvels.

Advert

Agreed Nigel - but building a kit built up wing is much easier than building oen from a plan, having cut all your own bits out to (more or less) the right size and shape first.

Having said that, foam wings can be used on most planes if you want to go that way.

Shouldn't we both be building more and typing less? - I know I should.....

HI All,

Thank you for such an amazing response! I've looked at most of the links and I'll read through all the answers again and will also speak to club members and see where this takes me.

Sounds like a good idea to aims for something that's an easy-build and also low-wing to take me to the next step and go from there.

Still not sure if to go with traditional balsa, EPP or carbon. Or maybe try balsa AND EPP so I can get an appreciation for the differences. From some videos I've seen, looks like I could whip something up from EPP pretty quickly for a bit of fun flying.

Posted by Tony Kenny on 11/06/2017 16:51:26:

I'd like to build something that's different to the models I have already, so maybe a low wing, or scale, or a larger glider, 2.5m or above.

Not sure if I want to work with wood, carbon or foam. Having only a passing understanding of the difference between them all, I'm not sure which way to go or which kits to have a look at.

My plan after building from a kit would be to build from a plan the following year and then learn to design my own plane after that.

You've got a wide range of interests/types/ambitions, which is fine but best to start at the beginning, gain basic experience of building, of different technologies (e.g. veneered foam-core wing versus built-up wing), and of radio and mechanical installations. For good progress, I'd recommend doing this with non-scale stuff to begin with, going for kits of well-established designs for which there'll be plenty of online build-blogs to help guide you through the process.

The Acrowot is a great step on from an A-Cert trainer. As I didn't have any other power model to fly at the time, I went for the ARTF version rather than building the kit version with its veneered foam-core wing. I've been enjoying the model hugely (70 four-stroke but both the ARTF and the original kit can be done electric) and am currently working towards my B-Cert with it.

My next power model to be made is a Gangster 63 Lite, fully built-up wing. Not yet started the build, but the kit contents are excellent and the laser-parts appear to almost click together!

The other kit waiting patiently 'in the wings' is a Chris Foss Middle Phase with (veneered foam-core) aileron wing for good old-fashioned general purpose slope work. At 60" (about 1.5m) this might be smaller than your 2.5m requirement; but if you really want to head for the larger size of things, then consider buying a moulded ship and learn how to install the radio etc in that.

I reckon that by the time I have both these kits under my belt, I'll have the experience and confidence to start building from plans.  I already do this for FF rubber scale; there are obviously transferrable skills, but plans- or scratch-building for larger size RC has its own techniques and demands.

Good luck

Jon

Edited By Jonathan M on 14/06/2017 00:05:26

'Lo Tony , To try and answer the last question of your OP, the only sloper I can think of was Traplet plan in the now defunct Radio Modeller,. Called the Predator. Can't put a date to it though. I have the plan and could provide you with a copy if it is the one you have in mind.scan.jpeg

Posted by ERIC CLAPHAM on 14/06/2017 09:43:28:

'Lo Tony , To try and answer the last question of your OP, the only sloper I can think of was Traplet plan in the now defunct Radio Modeller,. Called the Predator. Can't put a date to it though. I have the plan and could provide you with a copy if it is the one you have in mind.

Fantastic! Yes please! Or am I able to get it from RCME? Happy to cover any cots you incur!

Thank you!

Hi All,

Had a visit to Weston Park at the weekend with my daughter and we had a great time. I could have bought several models at the swap meet but my wife insisted I had to have a kit.

Balsa Cabin had some nice kits and I've found something that seems to meet many of my requirements.

The Mosquito kit was chosen as it has preformed veneered wings and moulded parts and balsa formers (if that's the right term) so there's less building. I've opted for folding props so it is also suitable for some aerobatics and soaring, though I'm likely to put a rudder on it for a little extra control.

I have read an old thread on here where some people had some problems with the build but were still satisfied with the outcome and I'll hunt around for any other experiences to learn from. Also considering adding a little complication of adding retracts into the nacelles and learning how to strengthen to airframe to allow for that.

As a last comment, I was looking for m first low wing yesterday and was offered either a spitfire (not quite scale) or an acrowat, and was advised that anything under 1m is suitable for park flying. Which reminded me of my mini-switch which I can try first as a high wing in the the park and then use as a low wing whilst getting on with the build of the mozzie!

Thank you all for the advice! Whilst I didn't select any of the models suggested, I will certainly keep them in mind for the future and blending all the advice along with the wife approving the spend yesterday, led me to the mozzie!

Incidentally, I'm pulling off inverted figure 8's on the sim, so really looking forward to pushing myself a bit more in the real world, especially as I find real-world easier than the sim!

Same as this one Tony?

Steve's Cloud Models Mosquito kit is a 54 inch 'sport scale' model. In the kit is a pair of obechi veneered foam wings, and several plastic mouldings - 2 fuselage halves, 2 lower nacelles, and 2 upper nacelles and a whole lot of laser cut former's from light ply, and a tailplane, elevators, and fin from 3/16th balsa.

A link to Steves' Build - blog / thread Tony.

**LINK**

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 21/06/2017 00:13:22

Thanks Mark! I like his idea of putting the servos in the fuz to stop them causing damage on landing, I'll read through the full blog and start to make notes on what to change. So it's going to be a little more of a challenge as I'll be modifying the kit as I go.

My plans so far are:

• Aileron servos in the fuz,
  • Add a rudder (I need to work out the dimensions I should make this
  • Consider retracts, or at least adding strengthening for retracts, being aware of the effect on CofG
  • Being aware of how many people considered the model needing a lot of nose ballast and considering battery placement to help with that. Possibly a removable nose cone to put them in from the front
  • Review more of the related thread and blogs and come up with a plan BEFORE starting the build (which is a bit of an alien concept for me!)

I'm wondering if I should create a video blog as I go?

Posted by Trevor Crook on 21/06/2017 10:37:40:

My 63" Black Horse Mossie has a removable nose for battery access. It plugs on using two 4mm bullet connectors on the outer opposite edges. Gives quick access, and could be used as a battery isolattion function if wired in.

That's a good point, if I'm connecting the batteries in from the front, then I will consider an isolation switch somewhere behind the props.