Which CAD software

andrew

Why do so many people think Cos its free its worth a try ,

You get what you pay for after all, and if you don`t pay for it.

What you get most likely is a buggy program, virus or spam mail, Yes it`s got to be worth a try.

Why do you think  so many business are going under.

Is it just me or do we seem to be in a culture of Free downloads .

Don`t buy a plan download it.

Don`t buy software download it.

Don`t buy a Video download it.

Why should i pay for someone hard work.

Get a Job, How much you paying question I would not even get out of bed for that .

Ho why are their so many problems in life.

Rant over. frown

Edited By Stephen Jones on 21/06/2017 22:33:56

So far I have encountered no bugs in Fusion 360. It does not attract spam either. I think Autodesk's business model is to attract student engineers so that they buy the commercial version when working. Autodesk have a history of products which are free for non-commercial use. Presumably the model works for them.

I initially downloaded Autodesk 123Design because I had never used any CAD software and wanted to see if I could use it at all. 123D was then replaced by F360 (at least Autodesk started encouraging me to change).

All my games software is bought (though now mostly downloaded rather than on a nice shiny CD) and I would pay a similar price for CAD. The commercial licence for F360 would be too expensive for my limited use though.

I am a fan of McNeel's Rhinoceros. It is certainly not for free, but you can download a full version on trial for 90 days. After that you have to pay for a license since it stops saving your designs. The Mac version is slightly less developed than the PC version (and therefore cheaper), but is still way more capable than the average modeler needs. We are talking hundreds of euros/pounds though (unlimited license duration).

Max.

Andrew,

If you know what you are drawing already (as in you have a plan with shapes and dimensions) then Try Solid Edge - the 2D is free but the 3D isn't - you can scan the images into the background and trace on top to produce very accurate drawings. I have been using it for CNC machining my own kits and other projects for about 7 yrs. Works perfectly.

I did try Turbo CAD but it didn't really work for me - but I now of many that use it.

If you are designing a model from scratch then there are a couple of pieces of software that may be of use:

DevCAD - I have been threatening to buy myself this for years as it looks great, but I still like to draw my designs on paper then transfer to CAD.

Wing Designer - Have used in the past but moved to Compufoil.

Compufoil - Have been using for years and outputs dxf files which I then nest before CNC cutting.

All have subtle advantages and disadvantages over the other - but the best program to use is the one you know, so I have stuck with Solid Edge.

Whichever you use you will need to spend some time learning how to CAD effectively.

Best of luck

Rob

My advice, based on months of trials with many different packages, is to thoroughly test the contenders to make sure they really have the functionality you need. All the cheaper programs I tried fell short in some respect - such as inability to import 3D xyz coordinates, or commands that are inadequate (e.g a Rotate command that only works in one degree increments, which is not sufficient for aircraft design). I finally plumbed for Rhino - fairly expensive, but the license is for life, including all upgrades. If I had been prepared to spend even more money (e.g. several thousand pounds) I would have gone for one of the top of the range products such as Solid Edge or Solid Works.

As others have said, it takes a long time to become really proficient with any of the better tools. I was told it would take me about a year, and it took me about a year! CAD is not difficult, just complicated: there are a thousand and one ways to do almost everything and finding what is best in a given context takes a lot of practice and trial and error. But I think it is worth it!

I've been using TurboCAD for years and years, and I find that it works for me - all my plans for the last 10 years or so have been drawn using it.

My advice would be to get hold of an evaluation copy of whatever you fancy and spend several days reading the manual and trying things - that's how I found out that I appear to be <ahem> "unsuited" to AutoCAD...

Andy

Posted by John Stainforth on 22/06/2017 15:28:32: Rhino - fairly expensive, but the license is for life, including all upgrades.

True, but you will have to pay extra for new versions, i.e. the upcoming 6.xx for Mac. I plan on staying with 5.xx (still being upgraded regularly at present), since it fulfills all my needs.

To further make the case for Rhino: there is an excellent forum where you will find plenty of help and guidance by both experienced users and the people behind McNeel. A bunch of friendly guys who will help you out when you get stuck. And you will learn from the answers to other's questions, I know I still do.

But as others have said, you will have to be prepared to put some effort and time in learning to use any package, and I would even say you will have to treat it as a separate hobby altogether, and not only as a means to facilitate your modeling.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 22/06/2017 19:05:17