How to Perform a Good DLG Launch....?

Nice still evening tonight so I decided to take my Libelle out for a little tootle around.....

I have concluded that I really am a complete spanner when it comes to launching it......I either "hook" it & it veers of to the left or it goes straight up & then I stall it & lose a load of height in the recovery....dont know

Either way I don't seem to get much height....maybe 20m at absolute best. How guys get 40 or even 60m plus is a mystery.

I've always said that DLG launches are easy to do but very hard to do well....any tips to help me improve? Would a touch of camber on the ailerons help or is it mainly down to technique?

So come on...let's hear those DLG launch hints 'n' tips....wink 2

Advert

A query out of curiosity Steve. Where did you get your Libelle? Is it a kit?

I owned a full size Libelle for quite few years and enjoyed it hugely, It always seemed a bit like a scale model anyway compared to other Standard Class sailplanes. I'd very much like to have a model version, though I'm not sure how I'd launch it.

I suspect I'd go for hill launches only - I do have an old bungy tucked away somewhere ; I don't think I'd want to fling a Libelle - or even a Discus unless they are very small!

Cheers,

John

Not sure what Tx you use but the Taranis sharing website has a Libelle setup file that has a decent launch mode set within it. From memory it sets small amounts of Aileron, rudder and elevator to get a straight throw from the spin release.

I have not used my Libelle now in over a year as I find the Mk1 Alula's I have much much better.

Also:-

I found the Libelle not much good on the slope, as by the time there is barely enough breeze to get it away well you'd be better off with something (anything!) else. That down pointing super vulnerable rudder/fin is a killer in even good slope landings.

I am going to take it to the next gliding day at our field and piggyback launch it, kill or cure!!

Hey Steve - I too have a Dream Flight Libelle, as have a few of my flying buddies, and non of us can get this much higher than about 20m height on launching. I've put this down to the fact that it's a foamie, as the likes of the Blasters and Snipes are glass/carbon jobs which can achieve much higher launches.

This is my Libelle flying from a shallow hill just south of St Ives in Cornwall

Steve,

I suggest seeking advice from Mr Ashby who recently showed me a rather good video of him executing what looked to be a pretty fine DLG lauch - in fact he managed to perform the lauch several times in a few seconds - remarkable!!! Maybe he could be persuaded to share it with a wider audience? wink 2

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/07/2017 09:30:34

Ah I believe I have seen the same video BEB......clearly that is a style I cannot hope to emulate....wink 2

Interesting comments from the other chaps too...maybe it's not just my poor technique then.....thumbs up

Alas Dave I am a Futaba user so cannot adopt the Taranis mix.....

I do wonder if a bit of extra camber might help.....

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 03/07/2017 19:37:19:

Alas Dave I am a Futaba user so cannot adopt the Taranis mix.....

I do wonder if a bit of extra camber might help.....

If you can get switchable flight modes on your Tx then yes it will help.

Not only camber but a little rudder to offset the "spin" direction you use. I launch clockwise spin with left hand while Tx in right hand for stick control. Launch mode therefore sets small amounts of aileron camber and rudder.

A "speed" mode with slight negative camber also is beneficial, esp for the slope

This does rely on having very good resolution and centering servos. I use Ripmax SD100 (Dymond 4.7). My Libelle was supplied with the Gening set, and they are frankly worse than rubbish, and cripple the control available with a decent set. Same with the Vagabond, too, where I used Savox.