What's the best tip you can offer to new modellers?

RCM&E

Join a club ! is the best advice I can give . A lot of new flyers have come to our club and told us how they have tried it on their own and smsashed up models , most, luckily without any serious accidents. A club will help yopu not only with the flying side but with all the knowledge you will need to set up your own model in the future . Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

I think most of the best tips have already been given above but another tip would be to make sure that you can tell which way up your plane is. My first plane was a Flair Magnatilla which I built and covered in a lovely red colour. On its fourth flight on the first day, it somehow managed to turn upside down without myself or my trainer noticing and when it started diving towards the floor, I pulled up on the elevator with the evitable crunch...

Maybe we should start a new thread. Your most memorable/embaressing crash!

Does anyone have any advice on the first outdoor electric heli to buy. I started flying just after Christmas and have only indoor/outdoor models that are very difficult to control in the slghtest wind, which is frustrating when you have not enough room indoors. My first heli was an Esky Honeybee which I don't like very much and find difficult to fly (it nearly had my knuckle off once when I picked it up, the remote is so sensitive). I also have an E-Flight Blade CX2 (contra-rotating)which I love and have now got to the stage of running out of battery more often than having to repair after a crash. I'm worried that if I upgrade to something like a TREX I will spend most of my time at the shop getting it re-set up because it will be too complicated for me to do so myself. Grateful of advice, also any clubs in the West Kent area that cater for mature as well as young flyers.

i think the trex is the dogs , i have one of the first 450x, can be easily set up and is very stable in the hover, and the parts are redily available from midland helis and are relatively cheap,
but no matter which cp heli you plumb for there will be very little difference in the setting up, they all rely on head speed/blade pitch,
phil

Get a foamie!

They always say when you fall off get straight back in the saddle but with a traditional trainer that could be a couple of weeks later, once you've got the repairs done.

So what I did was buy a Multiplex Twin Star II. It looks fine, it's tough and it flys well. Now the longest I've been out of the air on a flying day was after a heavy landing that broke a prop, five minutes max I reckon. I have 3 battery packs and a charger that works off the car. No mess, no dead plugs, no bags of ply and balsa just flying and fun.

My best advice would be
1. join a club
2. buy a good fixed wing trainer (if you are already good at building - get a Flair Kite it is nearly indestructable)or Tudor 40 ARTF
3. Put in a good engine (love OS 46AX's)
4. Buy a mid range radio set from either Futaba or JR (see whatever your club uses so they can help you programme it)
5. If you can afford it buy a second same spec tranny with a buddy lead. This doesn't have to be expensive - look at the big shows for bargains and ask the stands what price for Tx and battery only. This way you won't be hanging around all morning for 2 flights and will be able to buddy with any of the club instructors who'll be more willing to buddy because you make it easy.

If you are still short of stick time go and have a day with someone like Paul Heckes or Tim at their flying school. A day's tuition only £100 if shared with a friend is well worth it for the intensive input and guidance you get.

• 8 months later...