How much do you shop around ??

cymaz

My new items arrived from the USA today. It got me thinking who else shops far and wide to get the correct items you want for your model.

I wanted some Sullivan Sky Lite 6" wheels. Most U.K. shops sell them from around £30- £34 each. Even HK do them from £20 but out of stock.

I have a Tower Hobbies account and have had it for some years. Always good service and reasonable prices. The downside is that Customs and Excise want their £ of flesh.

The reason for this rant? Tower Hobbies....$54 incl p&p add £13 customs. Total £53.

I still saved a lot of money! HK still out of stock. The moral of the story for me is sometimes HK is not the answer.....I will keep using Tower, IF, I can get a good deal....

Advert

I've bought stuff occasionally from Tower Hobbies but the faff of paying duty and VAT (which I don't mind) coupled with the COD charge (which I do) means it's a rare event. I did buy a kit (GP Learjet) and engine (OS46FX) plus a few other bits and pieces and arranged for it to be delivered to a friend's house in the US where we going to visit which made it very convenient.

It's funny but I've been caught for taxes etc when buying from the US but never when buying from the Far East.

Geoff

I shop around for everything, not just modelling goods. On the modelling side, I'm keen to support my local model shop (lucky to have one, I know) and I don't mind paying a bit over the odds on relatively small value items (under thirty quid say) as not paying P&P and usually having what I need immediately, evens things out. I also use Balsa Cabin and Inwoods (always well stocked) as I pass them regularly on my travels to family etc.

If I can't get what I need, I'll use my favourite on-line model shops or a couple of Ebay suppliers that I favour for their good service. Oddly enough, I don't use Hobby King so much now except for occasional purchases of Lipos, glues and one or two odds and ends that you can't easily get via other sources.

Having not attended any shows for a couple of years, none of my modelling pounds have gone that way, but in speaking to mates that still visit shows, very few  bargains are to be had and given entry costs & transport, you are gaining very little, if anything. Sadly, the number and variation of traders is nowhere near what it was at many shows, so even browsing for stuff that you might not usually see other than in adverts has also fallen away. Oh, for the glory days of Sandown in the 80s and 90s - so many purchases, you couldn't always get the stuff in the car without removing the packaging.

Going to the Nats, so I'll try to spend a few quid thereyes

Edited By Cuban8 on 27/07/2017 10:18:29

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 27/07/2017 11:21:45:

" Going to the Nats, so I'll try to spend a few quid there"

I think the main problem with going to the Nats is how NOT to spend a few quid

Geoff

Is that beer 'n' burgers you're referring tolaugh

Posted by Donald Fry on 27/07/2017 07:18:17:

I sometimes feel we should use wanted ads more. Long term addicts collect stuff. For instance I have a set of six inch Skylight wheels, unused and unwanted in a spares box.

Oh dear...I could have offered you some money to buy a pairindecision