Festival of Flight

My family and I had a great time at the Festival of Flight today at Ragley Hall. Despite it being a bit breezy and cold, we really enjoyed our day and the flying was great.

It was a real shame when one of the pilots recovered from a wing tip strike, only for the plane to break into pieces barely 2 seconds later! I can only imagine just how mortified he felt!

But, the one thing my wife and I noticed more was that the commentator was couldn't shut up about it. Come on, the pilot must have felt bad enough, without having his face rubbed in it. Overall, we found the commentary most of the day to be one long p*ss take of anything and everything. We're new to the hobby, is this normal, or can this guy just not think of anything else to say? We'd have much preferred to hear a bit about the pilot, the model, the manoeuvres and maybe information about the full size versions when scale models are flying.

Other than the commentary, the show was great and we look forward to going again next year! (although my wife will not let me anywhere near the swap meet again!!)

TK

Advert

Posted by Sterling101 on 19/08/2017 22:38:30:
We popped down for the late afternoon bit then stayed for the evening show and thought the same.
I actually thought he seemed like that embarrassing uncle at a wedding who's had too much to drink and nicks the mic off the DJ and won't give it back...

My wife just exclaimed, "Yes! That's an amazing explanation!". Hit the nail right between the eyes!

A little research ahead of time, knowing what planes were expected, could have made for a really informative commentary, mixed with occasional humour to keep it entertaining.

This sounds like the thread that started after wings and wheels regarding the commentary. I didn't go to this show, but it sounds like same sort of deal. By any chance were things 'awesome' 'badass' or 'sexy'? if so you have my commiserations

Was exactly the same at Long Marston and Weston Park. Its a shame nothing has changed . Lets hope future events he attends are better. At least 4 fixed wing based events this year so far with W&W and Ragley and no apparent improvement. Not great!!

As others say, he's a nice chap, cool, badass and wicked and all that, with loud dance music...........but I don't think he's cut out for fixed wing airshows which are very different to what he's used to. Perhaps he's best sticking to Heli and quad events which appeal to the kind of audience for which his style of commentary is suited.

In the end I'm glad I didn't go, although I did miss legendary flightline photographer extraordinaire, the best in the world!

Tony Kenny, there is an event at RAF Barkston Heath over the Bank Holiday. Its the BMFA National Champs, well worth a visit and the following weekend is a Large Model Association event at Much Marcle near Ledbury, again well worth a visit if you can. I can assure you the commentary won't be the same!

CB

Edited By ChrisB on 19/08/2017 23:33:31

For the evening show he just kept saying "can I have a selfie" every 30 seconds and exclaiming he loves JD and needed more drink.
Frankly it was embarrassing and I've left a review on the Facebook page stating it too.
Commentary is supposed to be commenting on the show, not exclaiming how cool/pissed/awesome/badass etc you are or how the current pilot won't do what you're telling him to do so you take the piss out of him.

Posted by Sterling101 on 19/08/2017 23:25:19:
For the evening show he just kept saying "can I have a selfie" every 30 seconds and exclaiming he loves JD and needed more drink.
Frankly it was embarrassing and I've left a review on the Facebook page stating it too.
Commentary is supposed to be commenting on the show, not exclaiming how cool/pissed/awesome/badass etc you are or how the current pilot won't do what you're telling him to do so you take the piss out of him.

Not really the approach to take by a commentator of a family show, talking about getting drunk, etc.

The V Festival is this weekend at Weston, I wonder why he wasn't there??

I'd seriously consider not attending Weston Park again if he is the commentator and I know several others who've said the same.

Edited By ChrisB on 20/08/2017 00:14:54

I agree with ChrisB. Weston Park was ruined this year by the commentary. Everyone sitting around us was passing comment on how awful the sound was. The commentary sets the whole tone of the event, that's why with Dave Bishop commenting, you got the family show feel. Now I'm afraid we have the cheap wedding DJ when everyons drunk feel. Very sad. We also won't be attending Weston or Ragley next year if this continues. I feel we all need to let the Bishop boys know how we feel to be fair to them.

I thought the venue was good, a difficult day for the pilots though with the wind. Part of the reason I attended was for the rc car displays as I know my son was looking forward to it. After looking around and finding nothing I asked the organisers. All I really got was shoulder shrugs, then I was told they had been let down. I really think shows miss a trick here, getting people interested in rc modelling in general surely helps the health of the whole hobby?

As for the commentary, it's a difficult job I agree but the style and knowledge needs some work.

Posted by Matthew Leese on 20/08/2017 07:43:05:
I agree with ChrisB. Weston Park was ruined this year by the commentary. Everyone sitting around us was passing comment on how awful the sound was. The commentary sets the whole tone of the event, that's why with Dave Bishop commenting, you got the family show feel. Now I'm afraid we have the cheap wedding DJ when everyons drunk feel. Very sad. We also won't be attending Weston or Ragley next year if this continues. I feel we all need to let the Bishop boys know how we feel to be fair to them.

I agree Matt. The commentator is the face or voice of the show and is the conduit between the show organisers, pilots and the public. At Weston there were long pauses during scale flying and then he woke up during heli, aerobatic and sports jets flying. Even if a commentator doesn't have pilots forms they should know the basics of what is in the air and if playing music it should be appropriate to the slot, i.e. not dance music during a warbird slot.

Lets hope this was just his first year of finding his feet!