Phoenix 2000, are metal geared servos advisable?

My club has quite a few glider enthusiasts in its ranks and is organising a glider weekend on 16th-17th September. I have owned a Phoenix 2000 for many years but only got it out of the box yesterday, such is my enthusiasm for gliders and electric flight but I thought I'd get into the club spirit by assembling the Phoenix. It's the basic version without the servos or electric motor.

I showed it to the club's cognoscenti yesterday and was advised that I only needed ordinary plastic geared micro servos like the Hitec HS 55 in the model. However, having looked at the wing section and seen one or two Phoenixes flown on YouTube, this model is capable of high speed, so...

Question 1. Which servos should I use in this model?

I intend to use the optional flaps and was planning to buy six identical micro servos, two for the ailerons, two for the flaps and one each for the rudder and elevator. I tend to use Hitec servos but I am prepared to consider other manufacturers' products.

Question 2. If I use six servos will I need a UBEC?

Question 3. What is a UBEC?

Question 4. How do you install a UBEC.

The recommended electric motor is a 2815/1050. I have an EMAX 2815/09 which is rated at 1000kv which is near enough for me and a 50A Mantis speed controller, so...

Question 5. Would this motor and speed controller be suitable for this model?

All advice gratefully received.

I realise that there are copious threads and posts on this model, but I do not have the time to read through them all to find the answers I need. I am reluctant to spend too much money on an electric ARTF but I want the model to be safe.

Advert

I used to have one of these with the preinstalled plastic geared servos and they were fine for the job. Can you check the fuselage. I seem to recall, that one of the servos to the tail feathers, was bigger than the other. If my memory is right, you will need 5 of one size, and one of a different size.

Can't help with power setup, mine was a plug and fly version.

David

I'm no glider expert but I do have a Phoenix 2000. Mine came fitted with servos and motor/esc. Re your questions.

1) The standad servos supplied are plastic geared cheapo non branded but have been fine in use. So I am sureHitec ones would be fine. Don is correct - ere are 5 micro and 1 mini in the standard setup.

2) My model uses 6 servos and just the BEC supply from the standard ESC that came with it. So doesn't "need" a UBEC

3) Superior and more stable separate unit to supply constant voltage to the RX ( my layman's view - no doubt the more knowledgeable will have much more to say on the matter! )

4) na

5) Yes, sounds reasonable, but weight is an issue. . The motor that came supplied with my model was very heavy and it was impossible to get the right CG without relocating the battery right back under the wing. I threw away the supplied piece of agricultural equipment (motor) and fitted the smallest lightest and cheap motor that would do the job. I also used 1000mah lipos instead of the standard 2200. Works well for me! Others will disagree no doubt!

Have fun with it but don' t spend too much time or money to start with. Best to modify , if needed, in the light of your experience and preferences.

Edited By David Ovenden on 21/08/2017 13:09:30

Edited By David Ovenden on 21/08/2017 13:12:27

I have had my P2K for some years now, and it is still on the original plastic-geared servos.

It was a PnP, so all was fitted, out of the box. I added two more servos for the flap function, and then used the Radian Pro setup on the Horizon Hobby website to setup crow braking, full-span camber & reflex, and normal flaps.

All this from the installed ESC and a 1300 3S lipo!

As David says, it thermals rather well; the camber/reflex option slows you down in the lift, and speeds you up to exit the sink. The Crow brakes are like pulling the handbrake on smiley

Tom

As others have said it thermals very nicely if the weight is kept down. As mentioned earlier I changed the motor. I scrapped the ridiculously heavy Volantex motor that came fitted in the model . I substituted a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2830-920kv motor which weighs only 57g instead of the140g of the original. That sorted out the nose heavy problem. I am using the same prop that came with the model and 1000mah -1300mah cells. The model is so much lighter as a result and flys much better too with balance at the correct place

FYI David, I acquired one of these about six months ago, complete with all servos installed.

I fly it with a 3S 1300mAh LiPo and all works well.

The only criticism I have is that with battery installed iaw internal structures, it came out somewhat nose heavy.

I did not want to add a tail weight so had to modify the internal layout.

Having moved the elevator and rudder servos back a little and with the LiPo positioned aft of the canopy, correct CofG was obtained with no tail weight penalty.

You might like to consider this. Good luck!