Hobbyking Spacewalker Kit

Bob H

Advert

Just started building mine (electric too), and a few things to watch for as there isn't much detail in the drawings. I'll keep you updated as I move along. First is that some of the thin ply is not laminated very well and may need a shot of thin CA to bring back its strength. Second is that contrary to the look of the formers in the drawing of the aft fuselage, they are not 90 degrees to the fuselage bottom and need to be glued on at the correct angle so they will be 90 degrees to the top. That's as far as I've reached so far!

Dave Smith

• 2 weeks later...

I have just about finished building my kit. The kit of parts are very nice and well laser cut but without a plan it can be a bit puzzling. My advice would be to dry fit as much of each section as possible especially the front and rear fuse. Then check it several times before using glue. Same with each wing dry fit and check, check and check. There are so many parts and often not easy to see on the pictures. When you have got a good dry fit check the parts to see if there are any that should be in.

Having said all that it is a nice kit and looks well when finished. It has some nice features on it like the open canopy which gives lots of room for the battery radios and servos in my case. I am now at the point of setting it up for balance throws etc.

It is a very well thought out kit and a plan would make life so much easier but it does go together well with a bit of thought.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, After years of building aeroplane kits, I am having problems sorting out how the aileron works on this kit. I have found all the pieces I need for the aileron, according to the drawings (No plan with this kit). There does not seem to be any provision for the aileron to pivot up and down, e.g. a chamfered piece of wood, which would pivot as normal. I should be very grateful if anyone could send me a picture or tell me how this aileron would work with the parts provided. Otherwise I will make my own proven design for it. Cheers, Bob.

• 4 months later...

Hi members Just taken delivery of the 48" electric version and certainly a builders kit and coffee breaks between assembly of the wings and fusalage. Could any previous builder advise me on the motor position does this go in front of the motor box or inside the box. I have no cowl for mine as yet will check the comment about the thrust line as the front plate hole is ofsett . Thanks in advance

It went Hi RC Plane Flyer,

After building many kits over the years I am sorry to say that this Hobbyking Spacewalker kit had me beaten, for very obvious reasons. After a LOT of work I built two wing halves.......

All the wood went into the bin last week.

Hi Bob and others. The motor box assembly will be going into the spares box for now, the motor I have is a 35/36 and will not suitably fit so the fire wall will be the start point of the mounting screws. Just need to measure twice maybe three times and drill once. Maybe need to dry fit the rest of front fusalage front before next step

Hi RC Plane Flyer, I have responded to your query on a separate build thread but my advice is the same as others - just take your time, get all the parts for the section you are building, dry fit and see where everything goes before trying to glue. On my model the motor mount can easily be built backwards giving the wrong side thrust and there is no clear mention of this in the plans. There are a couple of pieces like this hence check twice and glue once.

It is a fiddle but well worth the effort as the plane flies beautifully.