Float-planes

yes, we missed all the good weather last month didn't we. I like your Aquastar, a little beauty! Now I've fixed the Catalina and I've had a chance to fly off water, just a couple of circuits and bumps... very dignified and sedate after my Aquastar.

There's a photo on the gallery, but I haven't worked out how to insert a url that points to it yet.
aha!

The Catalina is 84" and the man who drew up the plans called it a Minicat, 'cos he has one over 100".

This is quite big enough for me, I have to put the back seat down to get it in my car and the wing still protrudes between the front seats.

My pride and joy as a small boy was an Airfix Sunderland; cost 10/6d in the days when a Mars Bar was 7d, ie about 18 times the price of a Mars, £9 or so in new money. I think the wingspan was about 2 feet.

• 8 months later...
Hi , I just got a Tower Hobby Lanier Sea Plane 40 from a friend. I intend to use it mostly for snow . Although water sound nice. The plane seems slightly tail heavy as an  empty ARF.  I am hoping that the motor, fuel , battery and reveiver and servos will shift the weight forward. Any set up advice?  Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi there, heard someone talking about Ivan Pettigrew plans, one of my fellow club members built a model of a Martin Mars water bomber from his plans and I had the pleasure of seeing it ROW for the first time last weekend it is dressed out in the colour's of the fullsize aircraft that is based here on Vancouver Island at sproat lake.  The weight ready to fly is 8 1/2 lbs power comes from four 480 electric motors driving 3 blade props through a gearbox, steering on the water is aided by being able to slow the motors on one side while increasing power on the opposite side, when flown slowly ( the fullsize really lumbers around ) it looks very scale.

Bare with me while I try and insert a piccy or two.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp237/Tow-knee/DSCF0278.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp237/Tow-knee/DSCF0280.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp237/Tow-knee/DSCF0284.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A query-

Has anyone out there got any expereance of the Miranda amphibian?

This was a plan in Aeromodler Oct 1955 and is available from X-list plans. It was intended for free flight and .75 - 1.0cc diesel.

I have built it for radio, rudder/elevator, and electric power. It has flown but needs aerolons for better control. Only flown on land with wheels as no nearby suitable water.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
if anybody wants it i have a ready two with floats going spare, plane is tatty but could fly again. dont want nothing for it just reluctant to chuck it on the tip  could post it but collection preffered .i live in west sussex. i do not need this plane as i have three other seaplanes including a twin ic, seamaster and mantula double  regards phil

Graham, this one is for you. I had an ARC Ready that I fitted the floats to, and i was disappointed with the steering performance on one rudder.  Solution.......Buy a second rudder set from a supplier, fit it to the other float. Next fit one of Futaba's "y" leads to the underside of the fuselage between the rear float legs connected to the rudder servo via an internal "y" lead. With me so far?????.

Then I set in to each of the floats a mini metal geared servo, but first I waterproofed the electrics with good old vaseline. Now with a short rigid pushrod to each of the rudder arms, I now have excellent rudder authority.  The extenal "y" lead is the type that only has one lead that terminates in a double plug. I haven't got my ripmax catalogue to hand, but i can give you the part numbers later, if you want it. 

I am doing up another Ready at this moment that I have converted to have proper flaps on the wing rather than "Flapperons". This too is destined for my converted floats.

Hi Phil, I've a mantua double sitting in my loft at work awaiting building which will probably be this winter, anything I should look out for?
I have a ys 45 2 stroke with throttlepipe that really motors on a 10x8 hopefully I'll be able to get a pusher o that size. What power plant did you use?

Posted by Phil Claridge on 14/07/2010 14:39:27:
if anybody wants it i have a ready two with floats going spare, plane is tatty but could fly again. dont want nothing for it just reluctant to chuck it on the tip  could post it but collection preffered .i live in west sussex. i do not need this plane as i have three other seaplanes including a twin ic, seamaster and mantula double  regards phil