Thank You

peter haywood 1

Gentlemen, Ithank you all very much for your advice and guidance on the radian glider. I have already trawled through shops and e stores, stock is shown of parts but I go to order it comes up as on back order.Cymaz you directed me to a website which said it i now defunct. Sorry if it is a bit daft but I would rather try to get an airframe instead of buying a different plane. I have had more sucess flying this than anything else,as I am in the learning stage of flying it had given my confidence a massive boost. Again I thank you Gentlemen.

Advert

In fairness to yourself Peter, to fly a Radian well, does take some skill and anticipation, and to land it well also involves quite some skill keeping the wings level, so I suggest you could easily master another motorised glider as the Radian suited you so well

What the Radian does give you is that time to think and maneuver as you can " linger " a while and change your mind as it does give you that extra bit of thinking time as it floats

Other floaters can give you this. If you think further down the line, as you progress even more, and time passes, 1 year maybe 2 years, and you will have moved on.

Don't let the lack of a Radian hold you back now, just carry on flying an intermediate model to keep you going forward. Just an opinion

Radian spares

http://www.tjdmodels.com/rc-aircraft-spares-parkzone-radian-c-12_34_101.html

Edited By Denis Watkins on 08/09/2017 21:10:07

Posted by Denis Watkins on 08/09/2017 21:06:34:

...to fly a Radian well, does take some skill and anticipation, and to land it well also involves quite some skill keeping the wings level...What the Radian does give you is that time to think and maneuver as you can " linger " a while and change your mind as it does give you that extra bit of thinking time as it floats..

Certainly true of my Radian Pro: even under supervision by a highly experienced flyer I crashed mine (steep diving turn into the ground) and had to re-attach the tail, fit a new prop; more recently I tried flying it solo (no-one around to embarrass me) and managed a flight of, oh, maybe 5-10 seconds - another wild steep diving turn immediately following take-off in near windless conditions, causing serious damage that frankly I cannot be bothered to try and fix.

I am far more attached to my first self-build, an old fashioned sort of trad-construction electric glider, 6' span, which is genuinely "floaty": I've only crashed it once, easily re-built the nose (it seems tougher than the polystyrene Radian), flew it under supervision very successfully and enjoyably.

I'd gathered originally that these ARTF poly jobs were much gentler and easier but this hasn't been my experience - maybe the Radian Pro is just crap? Anyway, I enjoy building my own hugely, nearly finished a high-wing trainer (1980s kit from C.Goldberg) and sort of started a big DB Tiger Moth. Trouble is, I dread the thought of crashing my new trainer! Maybe I should just build the things and let others fly them...

Ailerons Tony, with authority too. Like the Passenger Jet that took you on holiday, take care as much as possible to turn gently banked while you gain confidence, nothing over 10°

Most aircraft on their side are difficult to control, so preplan in your head and keep saying throttle back wings level

Calm the beast, wings level then feed in the motor again

If it becomes a bucking bronco

Throttle back, wings level, nose up to level flight, regain control

Edited By Denis Watkins on 09/09/2017 13:12:15

Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 09/09/2017 13:27:08:

Thanks Denis. I tried to take off gently in a straight line, to get out there in a steady climb before anything adventurous like turning - however, the R.Pro had different ideas and banked violently right and down...

rgds Tony

This model sounds like a handful with a mind of its own! I have a Radian X/L which is a complete pusycat and very relaxing to fly. (I did stiffen up the rear fuselage with some carbon fibre strips which makes control a little more positive as it was a bit disconcerting watching the whole tail wiggle with rudder input! Better now.