Newbie/returner from Devon

Graham Moore 1

Hi everyone. I am a recently retired mechanical engineer (metal bashing both cnc and hand). In my youth, early 60's I used to fly control line on Wormwood Scrubs Common, behind the prison. I use to go to Jones's Model Shop in Turnham Green and can remember longing for the big rc models I had seen in the Keil Kraft catalogue but could not afford on pocket money (cue violins).

Now retired with a little more disposable cash I am getting into rc. I have started a plan build of the Hanger Monkey from RCM&E and will be building a trainer after that. Then I intend to join the Exeter club and learn to fly.

One thing that I would like so help with is the choice of a plan for a suitable trainer. I have an SC46 glow motor and Futaba radio gear and would really appreciate some help with the choice of plan.

Thanks

Graham

Advert

Hi Graham, a welcome to the forum from me. If you fancy something traditional how about a Keil Kraft Super Sixty from 1961? Purists build the original three channel version but many people add ailerons and reduce the dihedral a bit. I believe it will fly on a 30FS but a 52FS might provide a more spirited performance. Just be aware a more substantial dihedral brace may be in order as it is a known weakness.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 09/09/2017 22:26:26

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the forum from me. As above, there are plenty of ARTF trainers out there, but if, like me, you prefer building, have a look at my RM Trainer build log here: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=112113

It's an old David Boddington design from the 80s for a .25 engine. It was a joy to build and it flies great. I belive the plans are available from the people (Sarik) who took over Traplet.

Cheers

Mark

Edited By Mark Elen on 09/09/2017 22:46:56

Compromise. Build a kit. Sussex Model Centre has the Seagull Boomerang in kit form. It would be perfect for your .46 and flies really well. It's an ideal trainer if you're going to get lessons. I had an ARTF version when I returned to the hobby some years back and liked it a lot.

If you don't fancy that there's also the Great Planes PT-40 or the Goldberg Eagle on their site. The PT-40 can be built without ailerons if you want to keep it simple and gentle for starters, but, personally, I'd go with four channels from the off.

Welcome to the forum.

hello and welcome from me graham....join the club first and see/hear what others are doing..... a trainer is the way to go first off(learn the basics) this includes going home with everything in one piece for the first few attempts.....it'll pay dividends in the early days....ask me how I know...

ken Anderson...ne..1.... experience dept..

• 2 months later...