OS GF40

Ron Gray

Advert

Hi Percy

Laser would be my first choice but they cannot supply engines and don't know when they will have stock. Slightly off topic but I have a 160v on order from them for about 12 weeks now and they still cannot give me a delivery date so I've cancelled the order, hence this post. I don't mind waiting for a good product but when no dates can be given then I lose faith.

Ron

Ron

I can actually answer your query...I've had a GF40 since May this year and I find it a very user-friendly engine.

Mine is in a 1/4 scale Stampe SV-4 biplane and provides a well-matched amount of power, is easy to start, a consistent runner and is quiet.

Price and value are not the same thing. If you look at cheaper petrol 4-strokes of nearly the same capacity you will find a lot of tales of having to modify the ignition timing, having to buy aftermarket silencers and having to replace broken/worn bits.

The GF40 worked out of the box for me, therefore has been good value. Shop around for a decent price though...

@Percy, your analogy of the shed is fine, but at least you know it's a 3 month wait! For me it is not a question of price, I want good quality and am prepared to pay for it, hence this thread, the OS offering isn't exactly cheap, in fact it's quite a bit more than the Laser I had ordered. But what I do like is knowing when I can expect to get something, then I can plan around that. Probably like most others I have a range of other 'planes that I can fly, in fact I was out this morning, in the wind, flying the Weston UK 52 powered Revolver, great fun! We stopped when it started to gust at high 20's! Incidentally that engine is not cheap, I could have got an equivalent size one for a lot cheaper but I wanted the quality and when I 'phoned them I got great advice so placed my order and it was delivered the next day followed by a custom built silencer (at no extra cost) a few days later - brilliant.

@Alan, great feedback on the OS engine, many thanks for that, exactly what I wanted.