using a quad esc in a 4 motor plane

Advert

A Quad 4 in 1 ESC is simply four ESCs on one board. The power wiring is the normal supply, but only one pair needed, then three wires out to each motor. The signal wiring is usually normal as for each ESC.

However, a wiring diagram is possibly the least of the matter, as bear in mind:-

1. a single board means a fault on any ESC often means its all ruined.

2. QUAD designed ESCs have QUAD throttle requirements designed in, these may not suit a plane and may be less than simple to change, though BLHeli and other formats CAN do so but usually expect signal via a flight controller board.

Not by any means impossible but unless you have a full build log to watch of the specific unit the setup might be more tricky than you think.

They do usually have LVC and they do usually have Temp Cut off. Most are throttle limiting and not hard cut, but then most ESC are like that without any set up needed.

If your ESC kills the throttle before giving time to react and land it needs adjusting or binning.

BTW I now run pretty much all my stuff, quad and plane and heli, with balance port "screamer" low voltage alarms, the GTPower grey cased voltage programmable type, set to a higher voltage than LVC so they give advance warning. I do this IN ADDITION to telemetry.

Posted by john davidson 1 on 08/10/2017 21:24:36:

Thanks for the reply, I remember seeing reference in a mag last year i think, of using a Quad esc in a four motor plane . I have built and flown a B17 using an esc for each motor recently and just wondered the pros and cons of wiring simplicity , weight and cost for future projects

For a plane individual ESC give flexibility on location and allow best practice possible as to wiring lengths. Weight saving would be relatively small. Hard to see the real advantages for a multi plane, and yet I own many quads with them. Micro stuff is a different matter where space overrules all else.

If you are just generally interested have a look at the EMax Nighthawk 280, which has a single board containing power distribution and regulation, ESCs, and a full flight controller. Not a candidate for a plane due layout, but shows what has been tried. Note, its the only one in their range like it, no later designs have it, which pretty much says it all!!