GMAC Electric Fun Fly

Greenacres Model Aero Club are holding our annual Electric Fun Fly event this weekend (16th and 17th August). We have found one weather site that actually says the weather is going to be sunny all weekend, we wont mention the others as they are obviously rubbish

Anyway we have already several good sized A123 powered scale models attending, including a 10' B17, two nicely weathered YT warbirds (spit and Hurricane) as well as a Brace of Sea Furies. A nice Toni and a lovely pair of Moths, Cirrus and Tiger. Not to mention aerobatic models of all sizes, from a large Adrenaline to Edges and 3Demons, etc all powered by A123.

As well as a smashing line up of traditional LiPo powered aircraft. Bob Partington often attends and flies his lovely YT Spitfire with Benedini sound system which is well worth hearing and seeing, and his Raptor is very impressive too, Bob is a very smooth pilot and great to watch. Another regular is Dave Orme, he often brings something special, last year it was a very large Lancaster.

Grant from Foamy Jets, AllElectric, Mad4RC, RCM Parts, as well as a good selection of traders have said they will be there.

As an added bonus there WILL NOT BE DB sounds

If you are into electric and want to come along and have a fly or just a chat, you are more than welcome, there is no admission charge whether you make it an afternoon out or the whole weekend, you will be made very welcome.

Greenacres Electric Fun Fly

Outrageous plug over

Advert

Sorry yes, I should have said. Thats a shame would have been good to put faces to names as they say.

Never mind maybe next year we can convince you to travel and stay over, great atmosphere at the Sat night BBQ, really good crowd. Its not often the trade and everybody all just get together and get to know each other I think this is typical of electric events by all accounts, and is definitely the case with the Greenacres event. The glowing and light-stick clad wings at dusk (and later) is fun too.

would love to come and join the WW2 line up, too far for me this weekend, as girlfriend is arriving friday, then picking my kids up saturday for the next nine days....

hope the weather is kind for you-and the rest of us-would be nice to get out in my other weather dependent money pit-the boat!

well the Saturday was a bit hopeless the wind was gusting to 25mph directly across the runway so only the brave/foolhardy flew. Funnily enough the 3 Demons flew very well in the conditions.

Sunday looked as though it should be just as bad with the wind forecasted to gust to 30mph. However the wind had swung 90 degs and now was straight down the runway. What was more, we have a raised embankment down that side of the field that masked the wind. The flying was excellent, the sun even came out for a few sessions.

Bob Partington flew his Benedini sound equipped Spitfire MkIX, so did John Ranson with his 83" Brian Taylor Spit, aalso sound equipped. John Emms made the long journey and it was great to meet him. He has said that 6 cell A123 packs can be done, so keep your eye on Puffins web site.

I appologise for not getting peoples names, but Dave Orme flew a large Lancaster alongside a lovely big Wimpey.

There were too many great models to list, and I would like to thank all thatattended from both our own club, and the visitors that had faith in the event, what a great day.

I managed to get a flight in with my Hurricane and picked up best scale GMAC model, which was a real honor.

Roll on next year.

Congrats on the winning scale model Danny, and also on the clubs excellent organization of the Sunday weather!

Nice photos, I love the miles magister ( I think its a magister ? ) and the Spit with sound is terrifiuc huh - seen that one before !

Mrs T and I shall be making every possible effort to attend next year, with a full compliment of different electric models as it sounds like a great weekend - though we havent got camping gear - so if you can find us a decent B+B nearby, or a 5 star caravan with en-suite overnight that would be good!

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/miles.JPG

It was great to have the two Spits of Bob Partington and John Ranson, both with sound. I had seen Bobs before but not Johns. Both magic models. I so wanted to fly the Hurricane with the Wimpey, Lanc and the brace of Spitfires, but my lack of experience meant I wanted to be careful. Knocking one out of the skies would have been awful. I flew alone straight after. Shaking like a leaf when I landed if you haven't flown a tricky and valuable model in public you wont know what i mean, the Hurri though basically an ARTF took a year to re-finish and make as correct as i could.

I hope to bring it to your bash in September Timbo

can you post a link to an ad or thread as others have asked about it too

off topic.... but danny, what are you and Chris using to field charge the M1s at this rate? My 1010B will do it, but even my old and somewhat knackered 12V leisure battery takes a hammering, and I am considering making up a 18V PSU field supply somehow.

As you know, my Wotty is running 8S A123s , and the charger needs feeding 300watts to fast chrge this lot at 10A - on 12V supply this means 25A input !

BBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGG leisure batteries, I don't fly much so my 55Ah is all I have, Chris has a 110Ah I think. The other  member of the Trio has a van full of all different sized leisure cells again at least 1 110Ah.

You are right it is a real problem, going to have to bring a geni over to the field, then it would be IC

• 2 weeks later...