Covering foam wings

trebor

I've been thinking about trying to cover parts of a foam glider wing to add a bit of colour. So far I've tried to iron Oracover and Solarfilm onto scraps keeping the temperature low so not to damage the foam cells. The Oracover has more sticky but still not enough unless I heat it up more, then the foam cells pop up. I tried sanding the foam skin before covering, slightly better. Then I tried painting Deluxe cover grip before covering, so far this has stuck it down the best. Just wondered if there is another way ?

Edited By trebor on 22/11/2017 11:51:01

Advert

Or you can go the cheaper way & without propellent nor masking needed, Trebor.

Wash off the release agent residues off your foam (meth or IPA), dilute good ol' PVA at +/- 50% (H2O), brush a thin layer on your foam and leave to dry. Cover with iron-on at low temp as usual as PVA gets heat re-activated. Et voilà.

Cheers

Chris

Signwriting vinyl. Contact a local supplier and see if they'll give you a bag of offcuts. A former club member used to regularly turn up with a bin bag full or roll-ends from his son's business. It's usually a little thicker than the vinyls you get with a kit, but it sticks just as well (usually better), and can be deformed around curves and angles with a cool-ish iron.