Aldi scroll saw

Geoff S

Advert

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted by Eagle 899 on 28/12/2017 15:42:23:

BARGAIN ALERT

I've just got back from shopping and picked up one of these for £28 (reduced from £69.99).

I wasn't looking for one, but at that price I couldn't resist!

Suggest you phone your local Aldi first as the one I bought was the last at their Castle Bromwich store.

Happy New Year smiley

Shep

Further to the above, after several months I haven't even opened the box!

So, if someone wants to collect it from near Coleshill (B46) and reimburse me £28, pm me.

Shep

I still have, and use, an ancient Hobbies treadle operated fretsaw. It does what I want has variable speeds according to how tired my legs are and until quite recently still had the original price ticket of, I think, £5 13s and 6d. Depending what I am cutting I use standard fretsaw blades and occasionally junior hacksaw blades with the pins removed.

Doesn't need an electricity supply so that's a sort of bonus.

Malcolm

Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 08/06/2018 16:59:18:
Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 07/06/2018 19:37:44:

Doesn't need an electricity supply so that's a sort of bonus.

Malcolm

OTOH, you must use a lot of candles in winter when its dark, Malcolm laugh

Gordon

Last year we visited Dereham and I was surprised to learn that's where the Hobbies company was based originally. They're still in business and still in Norfolk but have moved to a place a few miles south of Norwich.

Treadle operated tools were quite common. I once went to a sale of the contents of a deceased model engineer and all his lathes were treadle operated. His legs must have been well developed when he died. My grandfather's watch/clock lathe was also treadle operated (I could just reach the treadle) and some of my earliest memories are of watching him crouched over his bench, apron clipped to its edge to catch any dropped part, repairing watches. He worked right up to when he died at about 85 in 1945 when I was 5.

We had electric lighting even though a fair percentage of houses in our town used gas lights

Geoff

Gordon,

Candles aren't a problem. We used to keep bees and make candles from the wax. It is something we have continued to do and get wax from other beekeepers who can't be bothered to do the necessary cleaning of it and don't know what else to do with it. During the dark months we always dine by candle light. wink

Malcolm

Edited By Malcolm Fisher on 08/06/2018 19:54:09