Tales from the RAF

Ken Garner

These are true happening in my time in the RAF.  See what you think and I'll give you some more.

I'm showing the new electrical erk round the Lincoln, as its a cold and the NAAFI wagon had been, we took our coffee and buns up into the nose out of the wind and I carried on my chat to the newbie.  We finished break and before I could stop him, the new lad poured his coffee dregs down what looked like a drain in the floor.  I held my breath and it happened.  There was a bang and a thud and ten man dinghy popped out of the wing root.  The look alike drain was the flotation switch for the dinghy release in case of a ditching at sea.  I had to put him on a charge, he got week confined to camp and had to pay £5 towards the cost of replacing the dinghy. Well, it DID look like a drain!!

Ken

Advert

You won't laugh at this, its a poem attributed to Richard Hillary, but was written by John Magee, A Canadian who was shot down and killed the week after it was published.

Oh: I have slipped the surly bonds of earth and danced the skies on laughter silvered wings.

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun split clouds and done a hundred things' Wheeled and soared and swung, high in the sunlit silence there.

I've chased the the shouting wind along and flung my eager craft thru footless halls of air. 

Up, up the long delerious burning blue.  I've topped the wind swept heights with easy grace, where never lark or eagle flew.

And while, with silent lifting mind, I've trod the high untrespassed sancity of space, put out my hand and touched the face of God.

This is a naval one. Yep! I was navy as well.  Well, it was only a civvy naval messenger in bell bottoms!  A frigate was just leaving the harbour and there was lot of signalling going on between the Captains bridge and the frigate. I asked a petty officer what was going on and he said. "There was an air raid last night and Kittywake want to know if they dropped any mines and the bridge anwered, we''ll soon know, your first out"!!!!!!!

Ken

During my time in the Army.  I sent a private soldier on request down to the MT workshop to help out as they were short handed.  The Lance Corporal there was working under a Land Rover which was over one of the vehicle Pits.  He shouted to the soldier "give the vehicle some oil"   the private replied  " how much "   "about 6 Ltrs" replied the Lance Corporal.

A few minutes later the air turned blue!  The lance corporal shot out of the pit covered in Engine Oil.  The private had basically tipped the whole 6 ltrs over the top of the Engine.  When asked why he had not put the oil into the top cover he replied " You said give it some oil - so I did - How should I know - I dont Know nowt about engines ! "  He was a dipstick anyway!  However he never had any problems putting oil into his own car after that!

Talking of Dipsticks - trying to put oil down the dipstick hole was the other favourite.

Al