starting to build from plans

dan h

hi everybody. im new to the forum I have been aeromodelling for around 7yrs I am a self taught modeller I flew at my local fields for a few years. then decided I would like to join my local club so that's what I did. after I had been there a while I took my A certificate which then allowed me to fly solo which was great.i have been flying foames since I started aeromodelling. this year I decided to have a go at building from plans so I chose a 3 channel high wing plane. I got the plans free from a magazine I then brought all the stuff and got building straight away to cut along story short I finished it not to long ago I took it along to my club and it flew really well was I pleased or what!..half way through that the build I was already thinking what should i build next anyway I found another plane to build which I have now started and again im already thinking what can I build next. anyway I have decided I am going to build the woodpecker that I have the plans for out of last months rcme.

Advert

Well done on your first plan build, Daniel. I like to build models that way, it's an absorbing and creative process and immensely satisfying when it turns out well. For more complex builds I spend quite a while studying the plan and measuring to make sure everything fits together. This is helped by a glass of Scottish meditating fluid. Sometimes I find inaccuracies like spar slots that don't fit with positions on the wing plan view or fuselage formers that don't allow for the thickness of doublers and so on. It's best to work these things out before wasting wood by cutting out parts that won't quite fit. Good luck with your future builds.

Hi Daniel

Welcome to the wonderful world of model building! As the others say, there is no satisfaction quite like watching your own model flying around. Not only that, but when the inevitable unintended contact with the ground takes place, you will find that the damage is easy to repair because you understand how the airframe was put together.

For this reason it is a good idea to get the plan printed before you start building and keep the original in store. You will then always have a plan to refer to later on. I always cut up the print into manageable pieces, use that for building and throw it away afterwards.

Buster has penned some wise words. Never assume that the plans are accurate and spend time checking measurements before you start. The process will also help you to sort out the order of build so that you do not miss parts out and then can't fit them in later. (Don't ask how I found that out).

One classic error that seems to repeat itself is that the wing chord is a different measurement on the wing plan to that shown on the fuselage side view. This will lead to wing seating errors in the final assembly and is irritating to discover at that point!

Good luck with the building and remember that if you get stuck, someone on here will have a solution!

pete

Very wise words to check sizes and relative dimensions .One plan that I shall not mention gave me nightmares .All the main fuselage formers were out in respect of alignment with the main horizontal stringer .One main fuselage former was 1/2 " too short .And all the outer wing tip ribs had their main spar slots the opposite way to the taper that was required .The fixing of the under carriage was and still is a mystery to me .I designed the final version myself . I have qualifications in tech .drawing and I only build models from plans so I know how to interpret them . God knows who drew these plans up from the designers requirements . Saying all that the plane flew really well ! ! !

Welcome aboard!

"half way through that the build I was already thinking what should i build next"

Yes, that can be a problem!

Try not to get too distracted from the project in front of you smiley

As for building technique, if you don't know how to do something there will always be someone on here that does, its a goldmine.

thanks to all for the replys, I will definitely take note of all the tips and ideas for future reference when building from plans. I will look forward to sharing my builds with you guys and also following and learning [ a lot ] from everybody on here. the build I have completed and the build I have just started the plans show me everything. but in the November issue of rcme [ woodpecker ] that plan only shows half the wing and half the elevator. how do you go about building these when it is like this? as I am going to build this in the new year. Dan

Daniel.

Take the plan to a copy shop and ask them to flip the drawing in the copy machine.

As a rather smelly alternative wipe the plan with paraffin . This will make it transparent, it also stops the glue sticking to the plan. The Paraffin dries off leaving a clean plan again.

Another way is to lay hand writing carbon paper under the plan, carbon side up and draw over the plan. you will then have a carbon copy on the back.

Welcome to the club Daniel.

Another way is to build the opposite wing upside down over the plan, this is easiest if you have a symmetrical aerofoil section but can be done with bi convex sections too.

You can lay out a mirror image of the wing on wallpaper - adding in all of the critical dimensions (or the whole structure of you prefer) such as spars, LE, TE and tips. then build from that

Probably the easiest way is as Peter states using the copy machine to get a mirror image.

Best

Rob

Posted by Peter Miller on 01/12/2017 08:34:31:

Daniel.

Take the plan to a copy shop and ask them to flip the drawing in the copy machine.

As a rather smelly alternative wipe the plan with paraffin . This will make it transparent, it also stops the glue sticking to the plan. The Paraffin dries off leaving a clean plan again.

Another way is to lay hand writing carbon paper under the plan, carbon side up and draw over the plan. you will then have a carbon copy on the back.

cheers peter