3D your thing...???

David Martin 2

Advert

I suppose it's just taking heli orientation to the human limits Simon. Anyone piloting a heli through all those stunts probably gets a rush like you wouldn't believe, plus the show off factor of it.

They must be so talented that an accumulation of new tricks is easy to achieve, it only halts when there's nothing else possible to actually do. Must be nice to completely master something.

I agree David - probably not seen better.  Its a tribute though to the component manufacturers - the stresses must be amazing!!  Pilot wise I always find skill like that is a true talent and I'm totally jealous.  However flying a helicopter like a demented Bee on speed Is not for me ! - General sport flying for me I'm affraid !

Al

Can you imagine the peripheral vision required to drop out of the sky like he does, at some awlful orientation, the ground appears and you have to react immediately with the spot on command (and the right amount of stick) to stop trashing a mega head speed/money model in an idle up setting...?

I'm afraid I'm god smacked by that achievment. I've been flying my Rappy around scale like now for 8 years without bending a thing but that would probably bore that young man rigid. Each to there own.

In a little test to myself,  I took 2 minutes to work out in my head which way I would need to twiddle the sticks if I had an inverted nose in heli that I wanted to climb out at 45 degrees away from me......I think I'll stick to my boring scale smooth flight gents....!

• 4 weeks later...

After standing and watching/photographing the guys at Fastlad performance the skill is amazing.

Watching there display at the Nationals, then turning and looking at the spectators EVERYONES eyes were glued to the heli's (Not even Ali seemed to top that with the C17!).

That must give you a certain amount of pride in what your doing.

Andy Hornyak hovered inverted and even managed to scratch his rotor blades he was that low.(what was even more impressive is he managed to land safely afterwards!!)

I hear the person who won the second category at the 3D Masters this year was about 8 years old..???

Frightening.....I wonder if simulators really do make the average pilot brilliant or whether they just hone raw talent....I've never had a go on one to comment...

Has anyone out there found that a new trick they've quickly mastered with no crash cost pressure on the sim is easily transferred to their real model at the same altitude...?