Taranis EU X9D and V8 Recivers

Stephen Jones

Hi,

I have just bought a New Taranis EU X9d Plus Transmitter and would like to use my existing V8 receivers.

Sorry if this has already been covered else where but i can not find the solution.

I have been using Frsky for years Via a hack Module or a plug in Module in different Transmitters.

So Do i change the Firmware in the Taranis or do i add a hack module / Futaba Module . I do not have a JR Module.

If i have to go down the Module route does that mean i have to have a extra Aerial sticking out the back.

Cheers Steve.

Advert

If it the Rx's are not V8-II they won't work without a module plugged in. Only the JR module fits.
V8-II rx's can be used with the internal RF if the Tx supports D8 mode - I'm not sure if your version does but it's easy to check by entering the "setup" page of any model & scrolling through the modes.

Hi Stephen,

All you need to do is download OpenTx Companion to your PC, start it and go to the 'settings' menu and then the 'settings' option there. Make sure none of the build option boxes are ticked (especially not the EU one) and make sure the correct radio is selected. You can also set your default channel order on this screen. Then download the latest version of OpenTx and flash it to the radio following the instructions from the on-line manual or one of the videos by Scott Page or Painless 360. This will give you D8 mode on your transmitter which will allow the use of D8 and newer V8 II receivers. As has already been said, if you have older V8 receivers you will need to set your external rf to PPM and use an old JR style module in the bay.

HTH,

John.

Hi,

I have been having a frustrating time getting it to work the way i like it to be.

Ok 1st off i wanted to use my old Receivers which are V8 , Well it seems i only have a few V8r4 and V8FR.

The rest are VDM5 V8r4 II Delta 8 and some others .

So after my up date of the Tx software i can now select D8 D16 LR12.

And have managed to Bind to my V8R4-II and works fine i have not up dated the internal XJT module .

So am i still using EU LBT ?.

Also no matter how i tried i could not get my channel order as Futaba AETR.

I went through all radio set up Mode 1 AETR but it would not work.

I have now got it working but i had to Change the inputs to RETA.

Now how do i get Expo to work correctly i would like 60% Expo on Elevator and Ailerons.

Cheers Steve.

Posted by Stephen Jones on 03/12/2017 00:59:3

So am i still using EU LBT ?.

Hi Stephen

As you suspect, you are now on the non EU version. It demonstrates how easy it is to switch the transmitter between the two. However if you have receivers that use the D16 telemetry mode and have the recent EU software, then they will need to re-flash their firmware to use them.

I bought the Taranis when it first came out and stick with the non EU version to keep using these lightweight receivers installed in several models.

Also AETR channel order can be set at the bottom of the first page of Radio Setup. I'm surprised it wasn't the default.

Ray

Hi Steve,

First of all, don't touch the FrSky rf firmware. It is up to date, EU LBT and has no effect on the problems you are having. EU LBT only has an effect on D16 X series receivers (possibly LR12 as well, don't know) anyway.

You set up the default channel order in companion on the settings/settings page again, down at the bottom of the radio profile page. When you use the wizard in companion to set up a new model from now on, that's the order the channels will come up in. If you wish to check or change that go to the 'inputs' tab in the model setup editing screen. It is also here that you set up dual rates and expo (this tab should really be labelled as 'dual rates and expo' as 'inputs' is confusing, and, in the main, that's all it's used for anyway.) It is much easier to set up your model in companion and then copy it to the transmitter than working on the transmitter itself in my opinion.

Your older V8 receivers simply will not work with the internal module. You would have to install an older style module in the back to use those. Newer receivers have to be bound in D8 mode, which often involves using a jumper as per the instructions. My Delta 8 receiver works fine with my Taranis QX7 but I had to take it to a room well away from my computer and router to bind as it has a very sensitive front end and wouldn't cooperate anywhere near an interference source.

I'm afraid that you are not going to be able to avoid doing quite a bit of reading to get to grips with your Taranis. RC Groups forum has long threads which can throw up some helpful info but the manual linked in Companion's help menu is pretty good, although not always right up to date and 'OpenTx University' is worth a look as well. OpenTx is much more powerful than most of us need, but it is amazingly good and easy to use once you've got the idea. However, it was written as a hobby by a bunch of computer geeks so it doesn't always seem obvious or even logical to 'ordinary' folk at first.

HTH,

John.

Just to clarify, you can not change the RF firmware by flashing OpenTx. The RF firmware is a completely separate thing and as your radio is new, and to EU spec, you are fine on that front. You could, technically, change the RF to 'International' and you would then be able to use older V8 receivers too, but, it means you wouldn't be able to buy new D16 receivers without buying 'international' ones from abroad or re-flashing them yourself every time. It's also slightly illegal, probably. Just not worth the complication if you ask me.

Sorry to be pedantic, but this techie stuff gets confusing,

John.

Thank`s for the feed back Guys,

Here are some screen shots,

companion2.2.0.jpg

Setting mode 1 only allows me to select the Rud Ele Thr Ail as stick mode.

No matter what channel order i select i could not get it to work right.

So i had to go onto the inputs tab and change that to Rud Ele Thr Ail.

companion2.2.1.jpg

I think i am right that i still have the Rf module set to EU LBT as i did not flash it and that i can not bind with my older V8 Rx . But as i now have the Option to chose D8 i can bind to V8R6-II in D mode .

I think this is a good option and i will leave the Older V8 Rx on my old Transmitter which has the hack module in it.

Steve

Posted by John Muir on 03/12/2017 08:50:15:

You could, technically, change the RF to 'International' and you would then be able to use older V8 receivers too,

John, I don't think that's correct.

I have an original Taranis from the first batch to come into the UK. It has never been able to support the older V8 receivers from the internal rf.

For the old VnR receivers you need an old D series style plug in module, I don't think there is any other way to use them. I still have a couple of these modules but they are Futaba format and fitted in an FF8 and an FF9.

The 'International' XJT firmware (the RF bit) won't bind to VnR series 1 receivers and never has. People get confused because the 'International' firmware gives a D8 mode in OpenTX by default and this will bind to VnR-II receivers. With EU-LBT rf firmware you can clear the 'EU' checkbox in Companion settings to download OpenTX with a D8 option which many people don't realise is possible.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 03/12/2017 11:52:22

Posted by Stephen Jones on 03/12/2017 11:11:26:

Thank`s for the feed back Guys,

Here are some screen shots,

companion2.2.0.jpg

Setting mode 1 only allows me to select the Rud Ele Thr Ail as stick mode.

No matter what channel order i select i could not get it to work right.

So i had to go onto the inputs tab and change that to Rud Ele Thr Ail.

Steve

1. Set your system to mode 1 as you did.

2. Select the channel order.

3. Then program your model.

You cannot change the channel order on an existing model, except through the Inputs or Mixes tabs.

Sorry about the duff info re V8 compatibility. Never needed it myself and my memory was playing tricks on me. As Andy says you need the channel order set before you set up a model, but changing it yourself in the inputs screen works fine.

Re expo, all you need to do now is double click on the model in the list to open an edit window. Go to the inputs tab, double click the appropriate control to open up an edit box and go down to 'curve', click the drop-down and change it to expo. Put the value you want in the box just to the right and you're all set. On Futaba you would use negative expo but on Taranis it's positive, like JR/Spektrum.

Edited By John Muir on 03/12/2017 12:56:03