What to do?

Glyn44

Bob

You are right. A brushed motor is self commutating so as long as it gets a sufficient DC supply it will run.

A brushless motor on the other hand requires the ESC to be working normally to run at all.

If a constant DC is applied to any pair of the motor wires it acts as a short circuit. A very big current will flow until something fails completely but the motor wont rotate!

Advert

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 21/12/2017 10:11:46:
Posted by PatMc on 21/12/2017 09:58:29:
Posted by The Wright Stuff on 21/12/2017 08:33:53:
Posted by PatMc on 20/12/2017 20:03:56:

The esc can't power the motor unless it's receiving a signal from the Rx.

Pat, I think this is the OP's primary concern.

Is it possible that a severe (and unlikely) failure - perhaps involving smoke and molten solder - could cause a ESC to fail in a 'closed-circuit' state?

The the motor wouldn't burst into life in that case.

unless it was a brushed motor?

Both of the Ludites who still use brushed motors are ultra careful when they connect their batteries. Mainly because 1.2AH Sanyo sub C nicads are dificult to replace, anyway as a precaution they have 25A car fuses fitted.

teeth 2

At an indoor meet last Sunday a relatively new flyer had bought a new nutball for me to set up which I did and test flew with no problem. All that was left was to set the failsafe prior to the next flight and we were all good, (I’ll admit - I forgot). Just as I was tinkering with my model for a flight I heard the Nutball power up and take off to gasps and exclamations. I looked up and saw the nutball floating round in a beautiful circle straight for my head! Cool as a cucumber I reached up,caught it by the wing and disconnected the battery! Silly bugger hadn’t turned on his transmitter! Lesson learned that this particular gentleman perhaps hadn’t quite fully learned previous lessons and that in future I’ll fully setup his models before leaving him with them unsupervised!

Glyn44 That's quite a wide open question

Essentials should be a throttle kill switch on the tx this can be done on most txs by switch allocation or by appropriate mixes. I recall the DX6i presents a challenge to do this and needs the motor kill switch changing

Adequate restraints for the model in the ground

Fail safe set to motor kill most escs will provide this facility