Un-seizing a brand new engine

Roy Hill 3

Help! I've recently acquired an OS Max FX 46. It appears to be brand new and un-run. It has been 'stored' in a garage for some time and is seized solid. I've managed to remove the back plate and carb, which is also seized, but I can't move the carb barrel or the crank-shaft. I've tried heat, WD40, and dismantling oil, without success. Has any-one got any ideas, please?

Advert

A soak in acetone ,thinners, or fresh fuel. More heat or a boil in ethylene glycol then left to soak overnight .. One or a combination of these should do the trick.I seem to recall a thread on this subject somewhere. DON'T USE A GOOD PAN FOR THE GLYCOL AND DON'T USE THE PAN FOR FOOD OR DRINK AFTERWARDS IT'S DEADLY  POISINOUS . If it won't shift after this bring it back to the boil and try it hot. BTW don't throw away the fluid. Filter it with a coffee filter or kitchen roll and keep it well sealed and WELL labelled container ( screw capped bottle etc ) Cushion all tools to avoid scarring the engine

Edited By onetenor on 21/12/2017 16:05:27

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 21/12/2017 19:48:10:

Vice and mole grips works for me.

Yes but hence my saying cushion all tools/ Vice shields etc made of ali /lead or something equally as soft and don't squeeze too hard or you could distort something. A strap wrench could be handy. Btw I forgot DO NOT put any plastic parts in the Glycol. Carb barrels/venturi etc

Edited By onetenor on 21/12/2017 20:13:29

Roy, sounds like you had less trouble with your Shermans and Cruiser and Centurians than the OS !

I had to carry out the same exercise on an OS 46 LA I bought a few weeks ago with a trainer plane for £30. The engine would barely turn over and the throttle was completely stuck so I could not get any WD 40 on to the crankshaft to free it up. I therefore removed the plastic throttle lever arm by undoing the single screw which I then then replaced with a bolt and lock nut. Once the lock nut was tightened I was then able to get some pliers on the bolt and operate the throttle, and introduce both WD 40 and After-run oil to the crankshaft. After a bit of manipulation the engine freed up and I was able to test run it satisfactorily. The plane is completely refurbished and ready to go.

See you when the weather warms up !

pb080196.jpg

Thanks Mike. I didn't serve on Sherman or Cruisers but I know my way round a Cent. They were, indeed less trouble than this OS. I've taken the advice given by Onetenor and soaked it in Acetone. (My wife will wonder what happened to it, when she comes to doing her nails!). It is now free and dismantled. Clean-up and reassemble soon ready to test run next week. See you soon, Mike.

Success! After soaking the offending items in Acetone overnight, I dried them and applied a little heat. Just a small amount of pressure and dismantling was complete. Cleaning the gunge from the parts was the next task and this was accomplished with the help of Cillit Bang! I find the advertisement difficult to watch but the product is great. All I need is some new grommets and gaskets and the motor will run again. Thanks to fellow forumites for the advice. Happy landings and a very Happy Christmas. Roy