Micro Stik gear into free flight models for indoor RC

Hi all, Happy Christmas and New year. I have recently joined IVCMAC.where a mix of every type of aeromodelling takes place. I have a Vapor and a few other models and this has given me the idea of converting my Puffin ( co2 free flight, under an ounce) into indoor RC. I have seen a couple of Micro Stiks, and this looks promising, however it looks like they are no longer available. Help please, I am happy to just access gear and start from there, if this is the only way forward. Experience please and contact details of suppliers. Best regards Stuart.

Advert

Hi Stuart,

If you are new to indoor flying and are ok building small models then you are in luck.

As now their are modern radio gear and batteries small enough to make this possible.

Yes you could just buy something small and fly that but why not build something instead.

If balsa is your thing then a quick look around the internet will prove fruitful as a starting point try Outerzone.

Or if you are happy to try new materiel such as Depron which is a popular building foam much like balsa but lighter a quick search again and you should be able to find a online shop you could also try steve webb

And as for the radio gear you could salvage it from a broken indoor model or buy the radio gear.

It all depends on what radio you already have ,

If you have a spectrum radio then a popular receiver is the the the AR6400 .

If you have a radio that will accept a plug in module then you could add a Spectrum Module or a Frysky Module

If you have Frysky then the reciver you will need will be a light weight such as the VD5M you will also need some small servos to go with it ultra micro .

This is just a starting point .

Here are a few of mine.

siparear.jpg

Rc Easy Flea

indoor2.jpg

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 30/12/2017 00:00:09

Many thanks Stephen. After a 10 year break, I came back a couple of years ago and enjoy most disciplines of our wonderful sport. I have my hand back in flying mainly sports acrobatics and scale at Warboys and Snettisham, outside. I now find myself as a member of Impington, where just about all manner of indoor and outdoor activity is practised. When I left the Hobby Ikara Butterflies where all the rage and an excellent introduction to indoor flying, which was becoming more popular. How things have moved on with regard to indoor RC, Impington now has a timed mix of RC and free flight at the weekly meetings. I have dug out an old Butterfly and purchased a ready built Sopwith Pup as well as a second hand Vapor. The itch is now to build and fly both indoor free flight and indoor RC. Thanks for all your help, I will study the links you have provided and go from there. Best regards Stuart.