London Model Engineering Exhibition 2018

The exhiibiton is scheduled for 19 th 20th and 21st January ( next week ! )

I expect it to be similar to recent years and not have too much aeromodelling content but the usual BMFA display of indoor flying.

Note that this year you can book online until the last minute and print your ticket off at home. Saves 1 pound.

It is also worth saying that it's a long very steep walk up from the station so it's worth taking the free bus up the hill unless you are quite fit!

Advert

It will probably be the same as the last few years - turn left for the snooker and hard right for the model engineering show. Just follow all the people who look like model engineers -- i.e intelligent people with grey hair and rucksacks.

About 40 years ago I visited a garden with my family somewhere in Somerset (I think) after riding on the little train with my two small children we went into the house. One of the exhibits in the house was a radio controlled model aircraft. It was, I guess, about 1/4 scale and was a replica of an SE5A. The information with this exhibit explained that this model won the best aircraft model prize and also the Gold Medal for best in show at the Model Engineering and is the only time this has been done by a flying model.

Does anybody know anything about this model please? I'm sorry I cant remember where I saw it but only remember quite a big train in the garden and this plane in the house.

The London Model Engineering Exhibition ( at Alexandra Palace in recent years) is a completely different exhibition to The Model Engineer Exhibition which gave gold medals & was sponsored by a differnt magazine and publishing group. So no connection.

Scale aeromodelling has moved on a lot in the last 40 years so there have probably been better models and larger models since then.