E-Flite Convergence anyone?

Tim Kearsley

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with E-flite's Convergence? I bought one this week and took it up for its first flight today.

It hovers OK and the transition to normal, fixed-wing flight is also drama-free. In "safe" mode normal flight is fine, but..... boring! So, I soon put it into so-called "Acro" mode, where self-leveling is turned off. Here, there was a gentle roll to the right. So I put in some left aileron trim. But, strangely, it seemed to have no effect. I added more, again without much effect. I added yet more and the model suddenly started to climb steeply! I quickly put it back into safe mode and regained control and landed.

I'm puzzled now as to what's going on. On the bench, the elevon movement seems normal.

I should add that there was little or no wind when I was flying.

Any theories anyone?

Tim.

Advert

Do NOT use any transmitter trim on this model whatsoever. If it needs any trim in airplane mode, then land and make mechanical adjustment to the elevons only.

If you apply tx trim during airplane 'acro' mode, then when you transition back to multirotor 'acro' mode, it will just see the trim as a stick input and possibly cause a roll/flip etc. (no trim is required in multirotor mode).

The flight controller has no idea you are using trim on your transmitter. Nor does it know not to apply airplane trim to multirotor mode.

Make sure when you set elevon neutral position on the ground that the model is in acro airplane mode (not stability mode)

There is a big thread about this plane here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2757797-NEW-E-flite-Convergence-VTOL

Be aware that there is lots of good and bad information in that thread though!

Thanks for that Jason. I totally agree with your comments and my use of trim while in acro mode was purely to get an idea of how much was required. Back on the ground I was going to reset trim to zero and apply the correction mechanically to the elevons.

I've ploughed through some of the RCGroups thread and there are a few gems of information, particularly around increasing the servo travel on the elevator channel to overcome the Convergence's reluctance to travel backwards in the hover. I also picked up that the LVC programmed into the FC is an issue if your batteries aren't in tip-top shape. As you say though, there is also a lot of "noise" in that thread!

Tim.

I have a Convergence, as does a friend.

Nothing much to offer, other than on mine at least its vital to ensure you have bled off nearly ALL of its speed in forward flight before transition back to hover, you cannot use the transition to slow the plane as it rises very nose high and sticks like it! The only way out then is to switch out and in again which releases it from that rigid control oddity. That is the only abnormal feature, the rest of the flight envelope is good.

On my restricted flying field there is no way to fly "plane" in stability even if you'd want to as it handles like a super tanker and needs a complete county to turn around.

I use Stability for only the initial lift off and the final settling to ground, if at all.

I have sometimes flown it pretty much solely in acro multi mode, as I have tweaked the controls to achieve a reasonably decent forward speed, and fellow club members like to see it flip.

Friend has only flown it stability multi so far and he's hit the LVC issue. I run an extremely loud "screamer" alarm on all my quads from the balance port, and the Convergence is no different. This is set to give early warning and prevents any possible LVC.