Advert

Re " choccy block " connectors I got some from either Bang Good or Gear Best which you just push in the wire and press on the "switch/trigger " which clamps the wire in place . Releases the same way.Very quick and time saving plus avoiding having to find the right driver for the screws..I can't recall the title/name used for them but a search on the site should find them Try Electrical connectors in the general section .

Ok, so for two sets of connectors, I reckon you only need:

M1-F2 ( = F2-M1)
M2-F1 ( = F1-M2)
F1-F2 ( = F1-F2)
M1-M2 ( =M2-M1)

If you want M1-M1, use M1-F2 and M2-M1
For M2-M2, use M2-F1 and M1-M2
For F1-F1, use F1-M2 and F2-F1
For F2-F2, use F2-M1 and F1-F2

So, every time you add another connector style, you need just 4 adapters to the first original connector style, then chain using the existing adapters to other styles.

e.g.
M1-F3
M1-M3
F1-F3
F1-M3

If you then want, say, F3-M2, use F3-F1 and M1-M2.

If you have N connector types (N>=2), you need just 4(N-1) adapters.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

it looks like there is more than one solution to the problem of N connector types. I think it is possible to do it with fewer adapters for N>3 if we adopt a hub-and-spoke approach, routing all connections through M1 (an arbitrary choice). The concept is like this: for every new connector type we add, we just need to add a 'spoke' to the wheel...

slide5.jpg

The principle is that we start with N=1, with the following diagram, which requires just 2 adapters: the gender changers:

slide1.jpg

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 30/01/2018 12:12:50

Posted by onetenor on 29/01/2018 19:17:47:

Re " choccy block " connectors I got some from either Bang Good or Gear Best which you just push in the wire and press on the "switch/trigger " which clamps the wire in place . Releases the same way.Very quick and time saving plus avoiding having to find the right driver for the screws..I can't recall the title/name used for them but a search on the site should find them Try Electrical connectors in the general section .

I found them . Here we go https://www.banggood.com/20pcs-3p-CH3-Quick-Connector-cable-clamp-Terminal-Block-Spring-Connector-wire-without-welding-screws-p-1001559.html?rmmds=detail-top-buytogether-auto__4&cur_warehouse=CN There are lots of others you may prefer just Google Band Good electrical connectors and scroll through.You might get ideas you never thoght of.I know I did

Yes, the number of mathematicians tends towards infinite, proving that 5 plugs are going to work. Go on lads, do variation of resistance as a result of age and use. And that old favourite what is the odds of open circuit in relation to the number of break points.