Problem on Jr 2.4 9303

Ultymate

This has just come up on the Flying Giants frum and also RCU

Hey guys several of our members have PM'ed me asking I put up an alert on the JR 9303 2.4 version. Apparently the voltage regulator next to the gimbal is cutting into the wire bundle that rests on it. It appears to be a simple fix, or you could do some preventive maintenance, OR better yet, if you find your wires to be frayed, give Horizon service a call. BUT, since this problem is confirmed with multiple pictures on multiple radios, I would suggest either checking the condition of your radios wires, or having Horizon tech dept give it an eyeball before flying the radio again.

Now, we are in no way slamming JR or the 2.4 9303. Its a great radio, and by making sure this little issue is fixed or avoided, it can continue to be a great radio.

The picture attached is 1bwana1's radio, and it shows just how severe

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/30015/wire1_LE_.jpg

this problem can be.

The guys have a thread going on here to discuss the problem and the fix.

Advert

I've been in contact with MacGregor since this came to my attention.  JR have come back with the statement that....

"the wiring in a DSX9 is different from (early?) X9303's. Other refinements have been made so this should not be a problem with a DSX9."

However, I think that people should check every couple of months just to make absolutely certain in their own mind that all is well.

• 4 months later...

Chaps, just to let you know, there is increasing evidence that this IS a problem for JR DSX9 tx in the UK. They (MacGregor) are now agreeing that as a precaution all should be checked and the wires rerouted. I did mine and it took just 5 mins to do. Quite a few people on another rc forum (RCMF) have found a lot of chaffing.

Out of interest, it has also been noted that the wire which runs down from the aerial to the circuitry, crosses the pcb edge and moves when the aerial is moved, e.g. when turned for flying after being in your box. A suggestion has been made that this could chaff the aerial wire, and mine had evidence of some small scratches which would substantiate this. Routing around the cover securing post prevents this.

JR (USA) guide to modification

I have added the RCMF thread below because of the serious nature of this. Mods - If this is a problem please bin the link.

RCMF DSX9 thread with pictures

Shaun Chant wrote (see)

Chaps, just to let you know, there is increasing evidence that this IS a problem for JR DSX9 tx in the UK. They (MacGregor) are now agreeing that as a precaution all should be checked and the wires rerouted. I did mine and it took just 5 mins to do. Quite a few people on another rc forum (RCMF) have found a lot of chaffing.

Out of interest, it has also been noted that the wire which runs down from the aerial to the circuitry, crosses the pcb edge and moves when the aerial is moved, e.g. when turned for flying after being in your box. A suggestion has been made that this could chaff the aerial wire, and mine had evidence of some small scratches which would substantiate this. Routing around the cover securing post prevents this.

JR (USA) guide to modification

I have added the RCMF thread below because of the serious nature of this. Mods - If this is a problem please bin the link.

RCMF DSX9 thread with pictures

No problem at all Shaun...anything concerning safety and so on - we should all work together on IMO