Fledgling

o z 1

Hi all,

To start with i would like to say that i have never flown anything, but would love to one day..

i used to watch my dad fly his SE5A but was never allowed to have a go....humph!!!!

my plan is to start with one of those dvd 's with a controller. however i was talking to a college from work about one day building my own aircraft and flying it, the very next day he came to work and gave me an old engine from his garage.

after a short time on Google i have found that it is a ED 1.46 Hornet, serial number ZA1835. This was confusing as i understand the last two numbers denote the year of manufacture, but as these came out much later than 1935, but for now this is besides the point..

i would firstly like to see if this will run even if it is not use for a future prodject.........but it seems to be seized.

so you have probably guessed my next question....what is the best way to unseize it and do you think it could run?

Thanks in advance for any help or info,

Austin.

Advert

Welcome to the forum Austin. I am surprised that any or our regular 'engineistas' on the forum have not replied as they just love these old engines. I have an ED 2.46 ED Racer but that does not help you! With old glow engines they usually just gum up with burnt oil (usually caster) so after soaking in plenty of fresh fuel and a little patience working the prop back and forth the engine would miraculously free up. However I am not too sure about diesels. If soaking in fuel or perhaps WD40 doesn't work then perhaps the parts are corroded and fused together, in which case it is beyond help? My best advice is to wait until one our engine experts is online who knows what he is talking about (unlike me) and can make a useful suggestion. Good luck.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 27/03/2018 20:28:08

Thanks for the reply Piers,

i will post in the engine section of the forum and try to upload a video to see if anyone has any suggestions.

there is a little movement but the piston seems to be fused to the sleeve.

thanks again,

Austin.

Hi Austin,

ED 1.46 as title, would have brought the guys forward, as Fledgling would not be a popular search.

I had a look round and freeing off a motor appears in various places.

I would just submerge the motor in fuel, in an empty bean tin, in the shed, for starters

More extreme is to simmer on very low heat in antifreeze

Modern antifreeze is formulated for aluminum engines, so is safe enough

This process is used more for the heat penetration than the cleaning properties, but could help

Hi Denis,

Thanks for all the advise and i understand your point regards the title.

The engine is in the shed soaking at present and will get more attention over the weekend, if that fails i will re post with a more appropiate title.

Cheers,

Austin.

• 1 month later...

o z 1

If your ED 1.46 is just 'gummed up' from solidified castor oil then soaking will free it eventually!

If on the other hand the engine actually 'seized' whilst running then soaking will have little effect and repairs are likely to require some replacement parts which may well have to be specially made. wink 2.

The application of heat from a hot air gun or blow lamp or as mentioned boiling in antifreeze. This usually does the trick. Soaking in acetone,ethyl acetate, or just cellulose thinners may work better. particularly if the engine is warm when dropped in. If it's too hot to hold but tossable from hand to hand is about the right sort of temperature for this. As it cools a bit try waggling the prop to and fro. Firmly You won't break it this way. I've freed of older ( and bigger ) engines then this,It's lovely to feel that first movement As an afterthought neat ether could be the best solvent to ungum a diesel. The others mentioned should work though.On occasions it can take a week or more to free off .Trying to move it from from time to time. These solvents usually can free any engine off. Glow, diesel or petrol. Sometimes even an engine that has picked up and seized can be freed off with the heat and soaking method but will need stripping down to check for any damage afterwards. If I was fit and lived close to you I'd offer to do the job for you smile Be patient and persistent and you should succeed. You will also need to unblock the spraybar holes too. That castor oil gums up everythingsad Good luck and let us know how you get on. Send us a vid of it running if you can> Any probs ask us.thumbs up

Hi all,

so far i have tried heating up WD40 using my camping stove in the shed. I have also tried Anti freeze and had no movement yet. i even found a bottle of Fairy power spray under the sink that i used ages ago to strip paint of some of my old models kits, but this has had no effect.

I will try the hot engine in thinners next, and then maybe move on to the ether, but not in the shed, its tiny.

i was also thinking of poasting a vid of it in its siezed state. and those in the know may spot problems or missing parts.

Thanks again for all the input with this.