COX THIMBLE-DROME

J D 8

This cox thimble-drome [says so on the tank] came in a box of bits I bought a while back. Gave it a clean and put some fuel in [5% it's all I use] and a squirt through the exhaust,a few flicks and away it went like a good un.

I did have some cox's in my younger days a TD 0.51 and a medallion 15 in control liner's and a Pe wee in a free flight that I lost out of sight

I had forgotten what a racket they made like an angry wasp.Don't suppose many are operating them these days given the noise.

Advert

Yes all the small Cox engines really scream. You could (and still can) get 'mufflers' for the 049s. I have one but haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it would make any difference to the noise level. Dens Model Supplies sells various spares as well as new Cox 049 engines.

To echo Peter, I have over the last couple of years been passed loads of elderly IC engines which I have taken some pleasure in cleaning up and running up again. Of these, ranging from 0.20 Cox to 30cc petrol, the one which stood out and being plain evil, in terms of bad attitude, noise, scary.. was the Cox Tee Dee 09... It has a personality of its own, and screams that if it wasnt screwed down it would have you!!!.. My dad said he had an ETA which hated him!!, and attacked him every time..

I wonder whether anyone else has memories of engines which bite!!..

The worst biter I had was a PAW .19, although that was used in a control line model with a tiny tooth-pick prop, so perhaps I'm being a little unfair. The noisiest one I've ever experienced was, by a fair margin, the Fox .19! It took ages to run-in, in fact it was so stiff it would not run at all to start with, we had to run it in by constant flicking, but once it did go it really howled. Of course no one dreamed of using silencers in those days.

Mufflers are available for the 049s (and 020s, if you can find one), but the engines lose a LOT of power when fitted with them.

There are special piston and liner sets, sporadically available, that do away with the sub-piston induction, and add an extra transfer port, as in the TeeDees, to minimise the power loss. I've had mixed results with these. They either run very well or very badly! I fitted one to that Golden Bee in the Mini-Robot, but it kept going sick in flight. I swapped the same piston and liner onto a BabeBee with an extended tank, and it runs fine!

Stripped and cleaned the Golden Bee, but couldn't find anything amiss! Go figure.....

--

Pete

• 1 month later...