I.c to electric conversion .... advice needed

hi guys,

I have got a seagull AT-6 Texan which I want to convert to electric, now the problem is being an I.c my knowledge is limited as to what

Prop, motor, esc, battery

I’ll put the details of the plane below ..... if anybody could give me some recommendations on what to buy that would be fantastic!! Just don’t want to make a big mistake and buy everything only to find out she’s under powered !!

• Wingspan - 62.9ins (159.8cm) Wing area - 620 sq.ins (40.0.sq.dm)
  • Suits - 40-52 2-Stroke
  • Factory covered with Oracover
  • Length - 43.6ins (110.8cm)
  • Approx flying weight - 7.7lbs (3.5kg)

Thanks in advance

Mark

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 29/04/2018 10:30:46

Advert

Looks like a 6s set up would give you plenty

https://www.bondaero.co.uk/Cobra_413016_Brushless_Motor/p1085152_17848852.aspx

or the Tomcat 60/601or HK Turnigy sk3 5045/55

ESC 70-80A 2-6s Although some cheap motors will work I would advise against buying too cheap on ESC's

ZTW, YEP, Overlander all seem good value

16x8 prop but check that you have the ground clearance

Edited By chris Bond - Bondaero on 29/04/2018 10:57:50

If you have Nov 2016's edition of the magazine (or can access it via a digital subscription) there is a very detailled step-by-step guide writen by myself on how the calcualte exactly what you need for an IC to electric conversion. The advantage of that approach (compared to web-based calculaltors and "George" is that you actually understand why it is that battery, that motor etc. That's much better in the medium to long-term than just doing what someone else says.

BEB

Posted by eflightray on 29/04/2018 19:54:32:

I did an electric version of the Seagull Models Miles Sparrow Hawk, 63" span, flying weight was 8Lb - 11oz.

Used a Emax BL4030 385kv motor, 6s Lipo, and APCe 14" x 7" prop. 26Amps 600watts 8300rpm.

Ray.

Cheers ray,

Is there any way I’d get away with a 5 cell Lipo ?

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/04/2018 20:29:34:

If you have Nov 2016's edition of the magazine (or can access it via a digital subscription) there is a very detailled step-by-step guide writen by myself on how the calcualte exactly what you need for an IC to electric conversion. The advantage of that approach (compared to web-based calculaltors and "George" is that you actually understand why it is that battery, that motor etc. That's much better in the medium to long-term than just doing what someone else says.

BEB

Thankyou I’m going to try and source it out ..... I’m reading up and doing lots of studying on it I just don’t want to slip up.

Posted by eflightray on 29/04/2018 19:54:32:

I did an electric version of the Seagull Models Miles Sparrow Hawk, 63" span, flying weight was 8Lb - 11oz.

Used a Emax BL4030 385kv motor, 6s Lipo, and APCe 14" x 7" prop. 26Amps 600watts 8300rpm.

Ray.

420 rpm/v

I'm also a great fan of eMax motors. They are a good mid-range motor source. I have a GT3526/04 in my DB Tiger Moth (870 rpm/v) and I have a GT3526/05 (710 rpm/v) ready to go in my almost completed DB Cirrus/Gypsy Moth. The Tiggie swings a 12x6 prop on 4S and I'm probably going for a 13x6.5 on the Gypsy. The Tiggie weighs

My quarter scale Perciavl Mew Gull weighing at 4.5kg has a GT4030/06 (420 rpm/v) on 6S swinging a 16x8 prop and, like the Tiggie, draws a miserly 20/25 amps most of the time but has power on tap (65 amps) when needed for short bursts.

BEB's article on specifying power trains for glow to electric conversions is first rate and very useful. I'd already done a few on my own but his method of starting with the prop you need to turn at (say) 10k rpm wasn't the way I'd done it before and it's certainly revealing.

Geoff