ASP 75 - what to put it in

Brian Dorricott 1

hi all, I picked up an unused ASP 75 sometime back but am unsure what to put it in ? . Until Saturday I had a Arising Star with SC 46 which I just got running properly when it totally loss control and went down in heavy woodland , not found yet but taking 17 year old grandson better eyes better legs to look today. So something nice and docile to fly and get used to IC as passed A but still improving hopefully . Arising Star was just right as learned on a leccy Epioneer and am happy with that learning a bit more on it. The similar Seagull Boomerang etc would be a bit overpowered on a ASP 75 or would it ? Anything else take the 75 and be a easy fly ? If a little overpowered throttle always available .

Advert

The trouble with using half throttle on an overmotored model Brian, is twofold

Its an heavier lump on the front that the model is not designed for

And the motor never quite gets up to temperature or useful torque

And your throttle thumb, never quite gets the hang of useful throttling.

Bite the bullet and fit it in a 75 model, you can easily get a 6 foot wing in your car

The Boomerag would be a rocketship on a 75 Brian.....flown at full power it would be pretty exciting; true you have a throttle but I think you might have a bit of trouble slowing it down for landing with that big prop on the fron moving a lot of air.

There is also ground clearance to consider.....a 75 would use a 14" prop....I doubt it would clear the ground in standard form....you'd need much bigger wheels or a longer nose leg...

There used to be a huge trainer type model for up to 90 4 strokes. It was around 80" span I think...like a very large Telemaster.....can't remember the name now.....that would be ideal.

Another option might be the Wot4 XL.....on a 75 with reduced throws that would be a pussy cat....

How about a Black Horse Chipmunk, or Bird Dog. If you can fly a trainer either of these will suit.

But just bear in mind either of the above are a step up in price from your trainer. Now a second hand small two stroke is cheap enough. Don't fall into a trap of spending a load of money, because you have the engine, and then breaking the airframe, because you're are not quite ready, losing heart ( or wallet depth), and walking away from the hobby. Common reason for people leaving the hobby.

Edited By Don Fry on 07/05/2018 12:37:14

Thanks for replies might look out for something smaller in the 45/52 range then the choice of airframes opens out again . The SC 46 that I lost came up cheap on the BMFA website so I'll keep looking at ads and save the ASP 75 for annoying my neighbour when she has a barbecue it's great for blowing the smoke back over her garden and drowning out her yapping dog ! Cheers