Blackhorse Mosquito

Alan Brock

I admire you guys who build without having a proper workshop. I've had a workshop all my life (the first was an enormous one which was for Dad's hobbies as well as the shop) and I'd be lost without mine and the myriad tools I take for granted. 90% of the free time I have at home is spent in it as my PC is in here

The Mosquito looks lovely and I guess lots of wiring is one of the things you have to tolerate with a twin which has flaps and retracts as well as all the usual controls. Someone had one at our club but I never saw it fly. I've never used D type connectors in a model but they are well established in computing and should be very reliable.

Geoff

Advert

I have one. Had it for 4 years now, in its box............

Found out my limited workspace was a tad too limited to put it together.

I was going to do it Electric. Got as far as getting the motors and speed controllers for it.

• 1 month later...

I just flew one of these tonight. Tested the CofG and it was fine. All control surfaces were fine but it just seemed to want to climb all the time and was porpoising the whole flight. Then went into a death spiral and stoofed into the ground!

Not sure what happened, After inspecting the wreckage the rudder was pushed all the way over to one side and was not moving very well, I bought it second hand, I have relatively limited experience compared to hardcore modelers, but from what I was told it flew fine before from the person I bought it from. Luckily all electrics were ok including retracts motors etc.

Any thoughts?

wants to climb, over-sensitive in pitch - that sounds tail heavy to me. Control positions found in the wreckage aren't reliable indicators as all sorts of things happen in the impact. Servo gears strip, clevises get pulled off pushrods etc..

Was the 'death spiral' a spiral or a spin? A heavily tapered wing on a tail heavy model is a classic recipe for a tip-stall and spin.

1/3 chord at the root sounds a long way back for a heavily loaded warbird with a swept forward wing! Google found a cashed instruction manual which states:

1) It is critical that your airplane be balanced correctly. Improper balance will cause your plane to lose control and crash.THE CENTER OF GRAVITY IS LOCATED 95MM BACK FROM THE LEADING EDGE OF THE WING

What is the chord at the root?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 05/07/2015 23:08:05

10cm, yeah sounds about rite. For all aircraft I have flown it is 1/3 distance from front of wing. I guess it must have been tail heavy and I done it wrong somehow?

Doesn't matter anymore, whats done is done, next time I buy an aircraft second hand, I will just only buy until i see it fly.

Simple