Strange motor behaviour

HI

I'm hoping to be able to pick someone's brains here.

Now that the council have cut the grass & the weather has improved, I've been flying the Chippie.

About 2 min into the flight the sound of the motor changes & it seems to loose a few revs for about 5 or 10 secs, the motor then picks up for another 2min then this repeats again, for the rest of the flight. It sounds a bit like an over compressed diesel. The same thing happens on a ground run, the throttle setting makes no difference.

Any ideas please?

Cheers John.

Advert

Hi John,

What type of tank do you have, round or square?

I had a similar experience with my Galaxy Models Chippie which has an OS 70FS, the other week and found that my round tank was able to rotate to the point so that the fuel pipes had twisted round each other causing a dead stick for me. It was not until I got home and removed the cowls I could see the twists.

I applied silicone sealant to secure the tank waiting to fly again.

Hope this is of some assistance

Regards

Robert

My money is on either a dodgy battery or the ESC protection circuitry cutting in due to overload, so some basic checks needed:

1. Check what the current draw is
  2. Check whether the ESC is getting warm
  3. Monitor the battery voltage during your test runs

Good luck!

Trevor

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the middle of 2 weeks away from home at the moment & access to wifi is a bit intermitent, I'm not ignoring your replies, please keep them coming.

I don't think it's the battery, I have 2 6s , Both are good & balance well. The motor runs & sounds fine most of the time, there is lots of power but it does sound a bit rough for the short time it slows down. When it picks up again it runs ok.Nothing seems to be getting hot. I'll do some checks when I get back home. It sounds like the esc to me. Will report back.

Cheers John.