Servos, Code 4 De Luxe AS-322 Any good?

I picked up a nice Dennis Bryant Percival Gull several years ago and it has now reached the top of the `out of the hobby room and into the air list` It had a .70 4 stroke in it which was sold as i don`t fly glow and it now has a Prop Drive electric motor installed and will be run on 5 A123 cells. The fuz servos are Futaba but it has Code 4 De Luxe AS-322 servos in the wing for the flaps and ailerons, they look like they are fairly new but i have no info or knowledge of how good they are as i can`t find any info on the net. Can someone enlighten me, are they any good, are they ok on a 6v rx pack and are they up to the job on a 72" wingspan model?

Many thanks for any help.............Martin

Sorry to disagree Percy but the HS322HD sell for £10.50 from Servo Shop (Steve Webb) and are described as Standard Heavy Duty Servos (nylon bush and ferrite motor). Whether the Code4 AS322 Deluxe is a Chinese copy or not, I suspect it is. The case appears to be identical although Martin does not give any dimensions for his servo. It may have nylon gears instead of Karbonite ones. Giving it a workout on a tester is a good idea. If it centres well, is not too noisy and moves smoothly without too much slop it will be better than some of my branded servos! My only concern would be if it had been left for a long period plugged into a NiCad battery - the dreaded black wire corrosion?

percy.jpgThe plane as bought had no battery in it, the servos look like new and the aileron ones are not even connected, there is string running through the wings to pull the servo wiring through. I saw a Bryant Gull flying at Old Warden a couple of weeks ago and spoke to the pilot, he said his flew very nicely, it looked like it did too. I am going to put differential in the ailerons, maybe your friends one suffered from too much down aileron? A flying buddy of mine had a Flair Atilla with ailerons which would flip the opposite way as you turned due to that, once he put in more up than down aileron it was totally cured.

percy2.jpg

Edited By martin collins 1 on 28/05/2018 11:55:50

I recently built a Skyways Mew Gull that's the same size as yours (74" ws ie quarter scale) and, like you, I have it powered with an electric motor but mine's 6S with an EMax GT4030/06 (420 rpm/v) motor with a 16x8 prop. I've had about 10 flights so far and only just managed to land it without its nosing over on the most recent 2! That was achieved by bending the u/c legs well forward but makes fitting the spats difficult without some changes.

Apart from the landing issues mine flies well. It was designed to fly on a 60 sized glow, so, like yours with 70 4 stroke; it doesn't need all that much power. In fact I think I have a lot more with electric than a 60 glow (over 1kw if needed but it will fly happily straight and level on much less (350/400 watts). I think standard servos with one/aileron will be more than adequate. I don't have flaps on mine but I would think metal (or Karbonite) gears might be a good idea there.

It's certainly well-worth running your servos on a tester for a while but if you have any lingering doubts it might be worth replacing them, not because they're necessarily faulty, but for your own peace of mind. You won't 'enjoy' the maiden if you have worries about the servos.

It would be good to see a picture of your Mew Gull and a few more details on the power train. I get both adequate power and endurance on my 6S 4.5AH LiPos.

Geoff

PS, I see you've posted some pictures.  It isn't a Mew Gull after all!  I wrongly assumed you'd just abbreviated the name!   It looks a very nice model.  I would certainly put some aileron differential in.  I do it on a lot of my models (my Mew Gull and my Gypsy Moth the most recent) and it makes for much better handling.  I use about 50% (ie double the up v the down)

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 28/05/2018 12:17:43

Most had the Gypsy engine though this one had a Napier Javelin in originally, the full size survives in a museum in Brussels an it`s history can be found here:- **LINK**

I am a fan of these 30`s /40`s /50`s British light aircraft, Miles and Percival particularly, i have plans here for the Bryant Magister and a 90" span Proctor though not enough time to build at the moment.

Power is by an NTM Propdrive 50-50 580kv motor on 5s A123 cells (nice compact pack) and a 14x8 wood electric prop, the 70 4 stroke ran on a 14x8 and i`m sure i will be turning quite a few more revs than that did.

Maybe we should start a thread on these type of British light aircraft?

I'm sure that will be plenty, Martin. I test flew my Mew Gull with a 14x7 prop, which was all I had, and it flew very well. However, the recommended prop for 6S is a 16x8 but really it's too big and draws over 70 amps in the air according to my telemetry which is a bit more than the 60 amps for 60 seconds eMax specify! However, it's only very briefly and I plan to chap a bit off the tips to make it 15x8.

Look forward to a report on your maiden.

Geoff