Augusta 109 Mark 2 Helicopter

Hi Guys I have just been give a quite old damaged Auguster 109 Mark 2 Helicopter which I would like to repair and get flying again.

The reason for the post is I am not able to work out how the retracts are installed in it, they are the internal type that fold back on themselves and have the door which closes behind them.

I have searched the web but I am unable to find any information on how they are installed and was wondering if anybody in the group might have owned one who might be able to help me with resolving the problems I am having setting them up correctly?

Any help on the issue would be much appreciated Regard Brianheli 1.jpg

Advert

Brian .I unfortunately don't recognise the Heli but decades about built several Morley 109`s and the u\c on those looked similiar to your pictures. The mechanism was an over centre one where the servo operated the u\c and the final 10 degrees or so pushed the mechanism over centre to lock it .There is a vintage Heli forum \pages on the web which may have some useful info ! Might even see a pic or two ! Colin

Thank s for the New information Colin, I have checked everywhere on it for some markings including the mechanics but can't see anything.

The Engine is a OS 61SF and it looks as though it started from underneath of the Helicopter it wasn't a Top Start.

I have put a few more pictures on I don't know if you will be able to identify it from them, but thank you for all your help so far.

Brian

img_20140103_220858.jpgmech 1.jpgfuse 2.jpg

Well Brian ! It is a Heim mechanics chopper .Mechanics are identical to a Heim Bell 222 I built in 1980 -90 ! Everyone wanted one in those days - it was the dogs what's its !😉

They cost a fortune and where quite intimidating to fly ! Mine was shot down by a police car at a Morley event in Bristol ! It did win the cup for best chopper there. Went home in a plastic bag ! It could be a Vario one who carried on the name. I have looked at your pics and it seems an over centre mechanism as was my Bell 222 but the bits are not the same as my retracts were , more like an aircraft nose gear .

Try the Vintage pages on the web .You may see some pice - there are a few Heim I recall .Hope I've helped - it's a very long time ago !😨😨

Colin

Hi Colin thanks very much for all your help with this Helicopter you have certainly been a big help and have given me lots of avenues to explore to get this classic model back in the air.

From what you are saying it sounds like you all had lots of fun flying these back in the day, if I manage to get it flying again I will show you some of the video footage it might bring back some memories

Once Again Thank You for taking the time to look into this for me, it was much apricated

Regards Brian

Hello Brian,

I did not have the 109 but I had a Star Ranger along with a 286 Lockheed and still have a set of mechanics. I think I may still have a review article of when the Graupner Heim 109 power first came out, I will have a look when I get the chance.Your mechanics look like the later tuning mechanics as they have the mountings for the servo's in frame instead of using the mechanical mixing. Will be good in the air.

Enjoy Wayne.

Hi Wayne Thank You very much for that information, from the picture you have posted the retract mechanism looks exactly the same .

Most of the people I know in the Hobby have only dealt with the modern types of Helicopters so the knowledge for repairing these types of vintage models is more difficult to find .

So thank you for taking the time to post this information to me, if you do come across anything else if you could let me know it would be much appreciated.

when I finally get this model repaired and in the air I will post some pictures for you to see

.Regards Brian

Nice project, but be very wary of any load carrying plastic components.

I renovated an old 4m glider that had been dormant for about 10 years, whilst not many plastic components on it those that were there had become so brittle they snapped with very little force. Clevises, servo arms etc.

Good luck with the project.

Thank You for the advice Dave, I have noticed that some of the retract plastic parts have become brittle like you have described, I am just wondering how difficult it is going to be to find anything to replace them with.

But I am quite looking forward to the challenge to see if it is going to be possible to see this Lady fly again.

Regards Brian

Brian - i second Devcon's comments about plastic degradation . These heli's had a scary head speed back in the day, especially when the pipe came on tune . If the head let go !!! Not worth thinking about !😨😨😨

Take care ! Colin 

There are bits on E Bay but are of the same age !

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 18/06/2018 13:10:16

Many Thanks for everybody's advice on this project, I have listened carefully to what has been said and so have decided to get someone with a lot more knowledge of the mechanics than me to try and restore that part of it

I am not to bad with the repairs of the bodywork and I am reasonably competent with electric's but when it comes to the safety side of flying I do take it very seriously and understand what can go wrong if you cut corners.

So thank you all and I will take on board everything that is shared on the forum

Regards Brian