Jart or M60

when I was last flying I built a jart, it was absolutely awesome for slope soaring in winds up to a nuclear blast !

But alas it’s gone.... but it looks like the m60 is readily available in the uk these days, they weren’t last time I looked so... how are they and are they comparable to the jart?

All depends on your conditions. Jarts look cool and tend to go very fast in a straight line, but they were designed for flying big, smooth patterns (normally halfpipes) in massive coastal lift. If you have those conditions available then great, but if you fly off smaller sites (especially inland) then other options are better. M60s are excellent machines that corner great and are highly aerobatic - I had one briefly during my EPP60 days - but like all planks they are pernickety on CG; get it wrong and all the performance disappears. They are also harder to land in tight spaces, though being EPP if you do make a minor error it's unlikely you'll damage it to any great extent.

If you are looking for a single model for sport flying my recommendation would be a 60-80" moulded model - it doesn't have to be new, these things last forever if well cared for. This will soar better than either of these options, be as quick as a Jart when ballasted and be a lot easier to trim out and land.

• 8 months later...

I built a 70 inch Jart which is fast but goes in light lift due to its span. It also incorporates flaps and is easier to land. If I was building it again, I would use a snake for the tail instead of a rod, and balsa fin instead of a moulded version. I also wouldn't bother with a rudder. I ended up with more weight than I would have liked in the nose.

**LINK**

Ron Broughton builds some superb EPP60 racing gliders, designed for man on man slope racing out of EPP foam. His Pole Cat is a M60 copy which I have and I have flown this at Rhossilli in a 40 - 50mph wind, unballasted and it was a match for the fully ballasted M60 I was flying with. Ron's Ballistik chevron wing, well, it's just that, ballistic, probably the fastest chevron I've ever seen, and again I have flown this up against a fully ballasted M60 and is as fast, if not faster.