Great day at Crook Peak

crook peak2.jpg

Spent a fantastic day with the guys from the West Mendips Soaring Association at Crook Peak last week. Weather was amazing - only downside was the Easterly wind giving very variable lift on the worst face of a fantastic site.

Did not spoil the fun though. Really tested your flying and even the thermals were breaking down at quite low altitudes. I loved the fact that all the models in the air would have to make a landing within a minute of each other as the lift decayed and the trees were waiting to swallow up the models.

Really chilled out group. I introduced myself and asked what the drill was. "Launch in lift here, and land there" was the comprehensive response. Loved the easy going nature of it all. Was really made to feel welcome and enjoyed the slope side banter. It was also a sobering experience to be out-soared by a Lidl glider...laugh

Will return when next in the area.

That stirred up memories! I was there '74 or '75 as a lad entering my first proper slope competition with the Brize Norton r/c boys. Flew my Monterrey alongside legends - Chris Foss, Stan Yeo, Sean Bannister and a few other heroes in a cross country event. Sean's brand new Algebra beat the socks off everyone. I came last. Still remember it every time I drive past on the M5 to see my grandkids in Devon. Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

Edited By Philflyer on 05/07/2018 16:23:06

Edited By Philflyer on 05/07/2018 16:26:18

Posted by Roo Hawkins on 05/07/2018 16:05:16:

crook peak club are the nicest club you can join. I was a member in 2009/11 . the best club I have been in. some great flying there but a hard walk up.

I agree. They are a great bunch and totally shattered my pre-conceptions about being back in a club environment!

And being in a tight lift zone with up to eight other gliders also kept you on your toes.

You're right about the walk up - especially in 28 degrees!

Edited By FilmBuff on 06/07/2018 16:12:56

Posted by Philflyer on 05/07/2018 16:20:14:

That stirred up memories! I was there '74 or '75 as a lad entering my first proper slope competition with the Brize Norton r/c boys. Flew my Monterrey alongside legends - Chris Foss, Stan Yeo, Sean Bannister and a few other heroes in a cross country event. Sean's brand new Algebra beat the socks off everyone. I came last. Still remember it every time I drive past on the M5 to see my grandkids in Devon. Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

Edited By Philflyer on 05/07/2018 16:23:06

Edited By Philflyer on 05/07/2018 16:26:18

I know what you mean! I used to see all the reports and pics in Radio Modeller and RCME in the1980s.

I have a bucket list of slope sites - and glad that I ticked this one off. Loads more to go though.

Edited By FilmBuff on 06/07/2018 16:06:02