Mick Charles Models, Surrey closing down

Advert

Posted by Percy Verance on 25/07/2018 06:15:00:

But you will once Hobbyking goes Simon.............and it will, sooner or later. And then it'll be back to how it was in the 30's, with modellers actually fabricating their own undercarriages, hinges and control horns etc, because there won't be anywhere left to buy them from. The hobby will reduce to a fraction of what it now is, with just a hardened core building and flying models.

They do say what goes around comes around..........

Edited By Percy Verance on 25/07/2018 06:33:27

I don’t agree Percy, there is a huge market in the US among others, and the big difference now is that the markets are global. Someone will always supply the hobby. Another example is the car industry. We have very limited aftermarket resources in the UK, however, in the US they have a huge industry in modifying cars, aftermarket parts etc. I often import parts from the US....not just for US cars, bu5 also Japanese motorbikes!

" So you can see where I am going with this."

In a great number of ways, beginners have never had it so good.

I can remember reading a magazine articles in the 80s or 90s where the artf revolution was decried and the hobby would be dead if it went that way. Guess what, hobby still here, looks a bit different, times change.

Rumours of model flying's demise are greatly exaggerated.

If anything, the diversification & rate of progress of the hobby have contributed to LMS's becoming less viable. How is a small shop supposed to keep up with technology that will be obsolete in a few years if it doesn't sell, or stock 20 sizes of LiPo in different C-ratings rather than a few different flavours of glow fuel?

I don't think I'll be sounding the death knell for the hobby quite yet, or planting a balsa tree in my garden.

Percy, You answer your question.

Your club had 100 members, now 30.

Your defunct LMS had 30 % of its customer base , I infer.

You do the maths.

But we are just one, sadly dying, branch of the hobby.

Try looking on HK for a glowplug powered airplane. A minority section in a minority airplane section. I don't even pretend to understand what some of the stuff they sell does. And I can do the maths, and physics, it's the language has bypassed me.

Percy, where did you buy your last washing machine, TV or vacuum cleaner? I bet it wasn't from a small proprietor owned and run electrical shop such as the one that paid for my raising (or like the the small LMS you refer to). I used to try and support the ones around us but it was as if our buying something was the kiss of death as they closed one by one. Hence our newest washing machine and vacuum cleaner came from Curry's.

The retail trade as a whole has changed in many respects and we can try to fight it but we're on to a loser, I'm afraid. At one time in the 1950s Murphy Radio had huge problems with one of their TVs and when the dealers complained the service manager pointed out that once TVs etc became almost 100% reliable they'd be selling them in Woolworths as there'd be no need for after sales service. Now even Woolworths is gone!

However, both our new bathroom plumbing (replacing the bath with a stand alone shower) and central heating boiler were installed by a self-employed plumber.

Geoff

Once upon a time, one would have bought one's horseless carriage from a local coachworks and employed a driver to be ready at all times for a quick trip to the one's shooting estate.

Then Ford turned up with all the colours you could possibly want, as long as it was black.

Do we really need more examples with groceries, or clothing, or any physical goods you care to name?

At the risk of being flamed, here are my two cents...

Mick Charles Models was an anachronism. The Charles boys were either unwilling or unable to embrace modern retail methods to the extent they should have. Who only has PDF files instead of a turnkey web sales system? Madness.

On a different note, I am close to MCM and the few times I have been in the shop I have left with the impression that I was imposing somehow. As a guy off the street, starting out and asking questions (presumably in their eyes a mere dilettante and not a serious modeller) I felt they wanted me to buy a box and some ancillaries and leave. Poor customer service.

Fortunately my other LMS is Addlestone Model centre, and a more enthusiastic bunch of helpful guys you could not hope to meet. And they're honest with you about the stock they have and can get hold of, while dealing with idiots who ask questions and then buy from the www or try to buy it cheaper in shop than they can afford to sell.

So, while I bemoan the loss of another LMS it has to be said that MCM did not do themselves any favours and I will not miss them if it means that the potential customer footprint for AMC widens.

Sad though the demise of another LMS is we should reward and support the efforts of those that still strive to support our hobby.

I, for one, give a vote to Colchester A1 Models. I am not a regular visitor having had to put a temporary halt on my modelling but each time I go into this veritable Aladdins cave they inevitably have what I need and I am served in a knowledgeable and friendly way. Long may it last.

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 26/07/2018 22:16:30:

Another excellent European dealer is Motion RC (eu). Just had a Waco delivered from them post free, and they price matched the best UK price, plus 100% spares back up. Brilliant.

I'm curious, why didn't you just buy it in the UK?

Posted by Rich too on 27/07/2018 06:43:49:
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 26/07/2018 22:16:30:

Another excellent European dealer is Motion RC (eu). Just had a Waco delivered from them post free, and they price matched the best UK price, plus 100% spares back up. Brilliant.

I'm curious, why didn't you just buy it in the UK?

Main reason is stock and spares availability. Although this particular model was advertised as available, it turned out it was on back order in the UK from the cheapest LHS. Plus outstanding customer service, updates on order received, dispatch / delivery times etc. I have also had issues in the past with obtaining "spares", as also on back order. I understand that the LHS cannot supply every single model and every single spare part, but Motion RC EU have 100% stock. So no brainer really.

• 2 weeks later...

Shame to see them go, I was there yesterday picking up some stuff and spoke to Dave(?) for a while (the guy on the plane side), they are both approaching retirement and this time period is a break point on their lease, so they've decided to close up now otherwise the next opportunity to would be in five years time.

I didn't have time to look through them but there are loads of boxes on the plane side with stuff like " no reasonable offer refused" written on them, might be worth a look if local and you want a fuselage or two to bash about with, i counted at least five Horizon Cubs and a ton of spares for them and the minicub.