Hurricane - 303 Movie Due For Imminent Release

Dai Fledermaus

It's definitely odd the way that we see things differently. A Matter Of Life And Death is my favourite film of all time, a cinematic classic. If you think that it is about Peter Carter being en route to heaven the entire point of the film has probably passed you by. The preamble even states categorically that isn't the case. It's a Powell and Pressburger Masterpiece with remarkable performances by David Niven, Roger Livesey and Kim Hunter. I must have seen the film dozens of times but each time it comes on, I'll watch it again, all the way through.

As regards flying scenes and shots, the single short segment of the Mosquito flying over Peter Carter as he is in the dunes on the beach is worth more than two hours of glorified computer game style CGI which makes up a large part of more modern films..

It's very easy to fall back on the premise that at least this offering gets the story of the Polish pilots out to a wider audience, but that doesn't mean that with our enthusiasts' eyes we shouldn't expect excellence in the flying scenes as well. As pointed out above Dark Blue Wold told the story of the Czech pilots very well, and did have some decent flying scenes, but is barely heard of outside of the aviation enthusiast's Dark Blue World.

Once again just my opinion

Advert

Leccyflyer, I did comment on the quality of that film, which was excellent for the time. The story and the purpose of it? To me all of that effort and high quality resource could have been used to make something much better, to me anyway. I don’t need to be bored to death to see a few brief shots of high quality period flying, that is available in all sorts of places now. Basically I suppose I am not a “film buff” and the underlying story is more important. Bearing in mind the horrendous, plainly and petrifyingly lonely last moments of so many fine men who served in Bomber Command, this story to me trivialised it and was in many ways just plain silly. As we have said though, we all see things our own way.

It's not a film about Bomber Command, it's a film dealing with the thorny and very contemporary subjects of Anglo-US relations and the social upheavals of the war and what was to come in the post-War years, coupled with a thought-provoking discussion on the survival of human personality after death - viz "I don't know, I've never thought about it" vs . "I don't know, I've thought about it too much".

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 04/02/2019 21:35:18:

We are bound to be picky because we are enthusiasts but at least it does raise some awareness in a wider and otherwise disinterested audience, much better than nothing. Steve McQueen tearing around on a motorbike had absolutely nothing to do with the real Great Escape, but at least because of that there are infinitely more people who are aware that it happened than there would otherwise be and know about the consequential murders committed by the Gestapo. Most people don’t know about the amazing contribution of Polish pilots that fought the Luftwaffe in the Polish Air Force, then in the French Armee De L’Air before escaping to GB and doing it all again with the RAF knowing that their own families were being brutalised back home. Anything raising that awareness is worth doing, even if it is flawed in our eyes. Just my personal opinion though!

Dear Colin , thank you very much for your comment.

Saw the film last night and really liked it . I am sure the purpose of the film was entertainment rather than trying to be a documentary. However it did succeed in bringing to our attention the heroic and under recognised contribution of Polish pilots in helping to defeat Hitler.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 10/02/2019 20:29:02