Opentx 2.2.2 flashing problems

PatMc

I updated Companion 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 then after a few false starts managed to flash the matching firmware to my Taranis XD9.

Every time I try to flash the Horus I get this message :

flash fail.jpg

any suggestions anyone ?

This is the first time I've tried to flash any firmware to the Horus from Companion since changing from FrOS.

Edited By PatMc on 13/08/2018 00:24:55

Advert

I don't run windows, but is your dfu-util up to date? It looks like the current version is 0.9, and you appear to be using 0.7.

Quote:

Releases

Releases of the dfu-util software can be found in the releases folder. The current release is 0.9.

We offer binaries for Microsoft Windows and some other platforms. dfu-util uses libusb 1.0 to access your device, so on Windows you have to register the device with the WinUSB driver (alternatively libusb-win32 or libusbK), please see the libusb wiki for more details.

Unquote.

Remember, the Taranis is an older device than the Horus. The Horus may need the updated driver.

--

Pete

PatMc remember that flashing Horus is done with TX switched off (at least until after adding this very version)

It sounds like windows has done some update and decided to change the USB driver for Horus. It does that sometimes.

So plug Horus in via USB with Horus switched OFf.
Run Zadig, in Options select "show all devices", choose STM32 Bootloader and then install the WinUSB driver.

Chris, my attempts at flashing have been with the Tx switched off.

Excuse me if I double check you're instructions as I'm a bit nervous of doing getting this badly wrong, I've heard of a few people who have had to rescue their Horus from an apparently "bricked" condition after being a little careless when changing firmware etc.

I should download the latest version Zadig from the second link in Peter's post.
Plug in the switched off Horus to a USB port, then double click on the Zadig.exe file.
In the Zadig options select "show all devices", choose STM32 Bootloader -
I'm not quite sure about "then install the WinUSB driver" Is this a clickable final step in the Zadig dialog box ?

After this I assume I should repeat the firmware update procedure as before via Companion ?

Edited By PatMc on 13/08/2018 20:28:21

Yes your recap reads correctly.

Once you've selected (chosen from the drop-down) "STM-32 Bootloader", then the Zadig screen will be showing you the name of the driver that is currently assigned to STM-32 Bootloader. It also shows a selection panel where you can use drivers to install instead. You should choose the one called WinUSB and then click the button which at this point will probably read "replace driver". It might say "install driver if there isn't one installed at all.

After this completes then if you run Companion, first make sure you're in a Horus radio profile. (Settings, Radio Profiles)

Then you could try a "Read firmware from radio".
This would confirm that communications are now good with the Horus without actually changing anything on it.

After that, "write firmware and settings to radio" should work fine.

Hi Devcon. I can't say for certainty that it won't affect anything but i think with an X10 you can only be upgrading from 2.2.1? So it's not a great leap from there.

If you're nervous then why not make sure you still have the copy of the firmware you used to flash it in the first place, or do a "Read firmware from radio", saving the file somewhere you can find it again.
Then you could always go back.

Note: you need to have the files first because older versions are not usually available for download.

All done, you were right Chris.

Going from 2.2.1 was very simple, I transferred all model image and sound files to the new 2.2V00018 SD Card contents and made sure the X10 was off when connecting.

Odd thing was when I installed Companion 2.2.2 into a different directory it seemed to to self populate with my settings from Companion 2.2.1, not worried just curious as my PC understanding is not what it use to be.

I now have a new splash screen courtesy of SkyRaccoon backgrounds and images. All widgets retained and working correctly.

Most certainly worth it as the great OpenTx team seem to have put a little fix in to get rid of that very low level buzz/noise from the speakers + the three finger salute is back + a few other tweaks which I'm sure I'll come across.

Certainly for anybody with a Horus a no brainer.

John

• 1 month later...
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 13/08/2018 22:04:00:
Yes your recap reads correctly.

Once you've selected (chosen from the drop-down) "STM-32 Bootloader", then the Zadig screen will be showing you the name of the driver that is currently assigned to STM-32 Bootloader. It also shows a selection panel where you can use drivers to install instead. You should choose the one called WinUSB and then click the button which at this point will probably read "replace driver". It might say "install driver if there isn't one installed at all.

After this completes then if you run Companion, first make sure you're in a Horus radio profile. (Settings, Radio Profiles)

Then you could try a "Read firmware from radio".
This would confirm that communications are now good with the Horus without actually changing anything on it.

After that, "write firmware and settings to radio" should work fine.

Just been reading, following your advise as I am having trouble, all I get is companion 2.2 / dfu-util.exe not found and companion will not read anything from my X10 Tx. I know the Zadig drivers work as I have had no trouble with a Taranis update. I have even thought about going back to FrOs but I cant even do that as it comes up with the same problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, its me again. I keep having another go but still having the same problems. I can update the Taranis ok but not this X10. It will not connect by just plugging USB cable in, the only connection I can get is if I hold the trim switches in when turning on to get the Joystick / SD card come up. I have re installed Zadig, Companion but nothing any different happens. Companion 2.2 / dfu utl.exe not found aaaaagggggggggh!!!!!!!

If you can picture the Tx is turned off and pushing the USB cable in the computer makes a beeping noise as if its connecting but no drives pop up. If I pull the cable out it beeps as if its working dont know Its the same cable I use on the Taranis, I am still stumped and still wishing I had got the Special Edition Taranis instead crying I've had this a few months now and not even used it angry

It sounds like it's time for someone else to have a go Trebor. Maybe with a different computer?

Where abous are you?

PS I do keep seeing mention of different USB cables or different PC USB ports working or not working on Horus, even if they do work with a Taranis.
I wonder if we could get you to someone near you who does have a known working PC and cable?

Of course it could be a USB fault on your Tx.

I,m down sunny Southampton disgust, I have tried different cables, in the device manager the Tx connects as Stm 32 boot loader but I cannot see any drive or files. Not sure what to do, maybe phone up T9 Hobby shop. I did see some having problems with Usb3 sockets and Horus, I will check later as I have a mixture of Usb2 and 3.

At the moment all I have plugged into it is the mouse and Keyboard and a Winstars drop in Hard drive docking device idea I will try again without that yes

Spoke to a chap at T9 and he recons its my ( dfu tool ) whatever that is dont know I will have to search windows to find it, "Alexa" might know thinking

Posted by trebor on 19/10/2018 17:24:57:

Spoke to a chap at T9 and he recons its my ( dfu tool ) whatever that is dont know I will have to search windows to find it, "Alexa" might know thinking

Trebor, have look at the first 7 or 8 posts in this thread. I think that the dfu tool refers to "Zadig" & you're in the same position that I was in.
Peter Christy sussed the problem then I followed his & Chris Bott's advice to the Holy Land of OpenTx 2.2.2. thumbs up

Good luck.