Great Service - But!

Advert

in fairness, the carbon trading was meant to be a way of levying a tax on richer, more polluting nations, and giving some of the resulting cash to poorer, less polluting nations.

"We could deal with it here, build the factories, employ the people ?"

I have a sneaking feeling the Scandis already do that. They have plants which can incinerate it at a high enough temperature to break it down properly, and use the resulting heat to make electricity.

Edited By Nigel R on 17/08/2018 08:50:02

Posted by David Mellor on 17/08/2018 09:09:23:

I think that what this thread illustrates so far is that most of us think that waste (in all its various forms) is being adequately dealt with.

Some of it is, thankfully.

But far from all of it. Much of it (all of the gaseous carbon compounds) isn't.

That wouldn't matter, except for the fact that what escapes into the environment is causing serious damage to the environment that sustains the lives of future generations.......but, it is cheaper and easier to pretend all is well as it is.

Well, I stand corrected in terms of landfill. I know we export waste, but I had assumed that the landfill was a safe bet at the destination. Do you know whether it would still be profitable for the destination countries to accept waste from us if they were forced to dispose of it in a manner that addressed the environmental concerns?

John, the noble task of cash for poorer nations, I never said that's how it has ended up!

"I think that what this thread illustrates so far is that most of us think that waste (in all its various forms) is being adequately dealt with."

I must admit that wasn't my reading of the thread. Quite the opposite.

Posted by David Mellor on 17/08/2018 11:59:02:

The reason I ask is to do with the psychological implications. Surely if a particular proposition is accepted then its very acceptance defeats any further mental effort to help change the proposition?

As I've previously pointed out, I think you need a more robust definition of 'accept' before anyone can answer that question. Is it possible to accept something that is unacceptable?

This isn't just semantics. The degree of acceptability is a sliding scale, not black or white.

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 17/08/2018 12:49:05

Posted by David Mellor on 17/08/2018 11:59:02:

"It seems most of us know and acknowledge the problems of pollution but accept it"

If so, do you think that "acceptance" is what each of us needs to change?

The reason I ask is to do with the psychological implications. Surely if a particular proposition is accepted then its very acceptance defeats any further mental effort to help change the proposition?

We can all individually do 'our bit'; buy vegetables lose from a farmers market (locally produced), cycle to work (where possible), and compost our garden waste. All worthwhile stuff but the big policy changes need to be orchestrated by governments, that is their function. So how do you suggest we change 'acceptance' as a mindset and how would that play out in reality? Write to your MP or take part in 'green' marches/rallys? How many people with families and busy careers have the time to get involved with such things, let alone be inclined, considering the political baggage that often accompanies such 'green' organisations.

The tide is turning, awareness of the problem has never been higher and sustainability is the buzzword. It is just a question of whether things are changing fast enough?

I don't doubt any of that, David, and clearly there are any number of appalling and unambiguously unacceptably bad environmental disasters occurring in the world in which we live.

But the original scope of this thread is one delivery from one distributor. In fact the primary purpose of the post was to congratulate HK on a great delivery time. The comment on the packaging was somewhat incidental.

So I accept that.

It doesn't generalise to acceptance of all the other examples you have cited.