No Luck. Thunder 180.

Dave Hess

I think I need to help a few more grannies across the road because my luck seems very down at the moment. I ordered a new Frsky X7S and a Thunder 180. The transmitter arrived with two switches broken, and now the Thunfer 180's fuselage seems to be bowed.

I was measuring the wing tip to the end of the fuselage to get the wings square, but when I get the distance correct, the mouldings don't line up at the wing root, so it looks untidy. Then I looked down the fuselage and can see a marked off-set of the rudder post to one side. Here's some photos. What do you think? Should I set the wings square to the fuselage at the wing root or to the whole length, bearing in mind that the rudder will be trimmed with an off-set to compensate? Should I complain to the shop, or is that normal with these foam models?

It's difficult to see in the second photo unless you put a straight edge down the fuselage.

20180815_184252.jpg

20180815_184321.jpg

PS. can someone tell me how to embed a photo?

Edited By Dave Hess on 15/08/2018 19:20:13

Edited By Dave Hess on 15/08/2018 19:22:03

Edited By Dave Hess on 15/08/2018 19:23:49

Edited By Dave Hess on 15/08/2018 19:25:22

Edited By Dave Hess on 15/08/2018 19:31:40

Advert

I would hesitate to say it's normal, but let's say that it's not uncommon. Foam isn't the most stable of materials, but it has to be said some brands are better than others. Me? I'd get the wing square to the fuselage and adjust the wing root to suit. I think it's a slow-fly 3D type model so compromises or inaccuracies won't be the end of the world.

I think it may be worth ASKING the shop about it, they may be able to check a few other examples to see whether 'they all come like that Sir' or not.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 15/08/2018 20:12:38

Techone is an intermediate maker in EPP, and they generally nearly fit together and do need fettling.

The indoor shockie lads fly these , and stiffen them up with carbon rod.

EPP is durable and does bounce when you have a mishap, unlike depron, which is stiffer and lighter weight.

All three Techone offerings I owned needed some fettling, and am quite adept now at remodelling small bits with a hot solder tip.

A good sharp knife works EPP too

OK, thanks guys. I managed to bend it a bit strighter. It was only the last bit of the fuselage that was bent.

All I need now is my replacement transmitter to try it out. I'm a bit worried that the same will happen again because the switches are hard against the top of the case, and any crushing dring shipping will break them off again.